We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Local Calls?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Free Local Calls?

In September, my hubby and I will be staying at Sandals Grande Riviera and my mom and her significant other will be staying at Sunset Jamaica Grand, the same time. We were wondering if anyone knows about free local calls from hotel to hotel? We still plan on hanging out and doing things together, even though we are at different resorts, we thought it would be easy to be able to just pick up the phone and call.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Local Calls?

Neither of these hotels offer free calls to anywhere......... and in order to make calls you will need to leave a deposit or credit card at reception. Hope that helps........

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Local Calls?

I was charged $3 for each local call I made at SGR .

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Local Calls?

Any suggestions to what we should do then? Thanks

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Local Calls?

You can grab a digicell and minutes for less then 40$ (just did it again) This will give you more then enough local and INTL minutes for the week easy..

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Local Calls?

If you have a cell phone which is open (not tied to a network) you can purchase a SIM card from a local network (lime or digicel) for about $6 and put minutes on as you need it ( for the week should be about $10).

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Local Calls?

Glen is right I will say that the new Galaxy s3 can not be as they do not have mini sims readily available,. If your phone uses a large sim you are good to go.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Local Calls?

Or if there's wifi and you have smartphones/laptops, you can use an app that makes calls over the internet. Otherwise, rent or buy local cell phones with prepaid cards.

Argyle Shore, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Local Calls?

There is information on the Sandals Lifestyle website regarding long distance and local calling. Look for the article "stay Connected with free Wi-Fi & Long Distance".

In this article it states that beginning in June 2013, there will be an app available from Sandals that will allow long distance calls to the US, UK and Canada and to local Jamaica landlines. The app will be available from the Apple and the Android app stores.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Local Calls?

This sums it up.

Disclaimer: The Free Wi-Fi program and Free Long Distance Phone Calls program are available ONLY to Sandals Resorts guests in Jamaica staying in a concierge room category and above. Free Wi-Fi will be available after 3/15/13 and will be basic, low-speed internet service. Premium, high-speed internet will be made available at an additional cost. The Free Long Distance Phone Call program will be available 6/20/13 and only be available through the use on the Sandals Resorts App on guests’ personal smartphone. App will be available for download on Apple App Store and Android Market at no cost. Program not available with use of in-room phone. Free long distance phone calls ONLY free to the U.S., Canada and to UK and Jamaican land lines.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
992 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Local Calls?

If you both have wifi and a smart phone or tablet I would suggest downloading the app magic Jack. It basically acts like a phone where people can call you using a special number and it will ring you on any device including (iPhone,iPod touch, Ipad or other smart phones) as long as you are in an area with wifi you can answer the calls as you normally would. You can also call people using the app which can dial the numbers stored in your contact list. You can call them using your iPhone, iPod, ipad,etc directly at home or if they have this app you call their special number that you get once everyone signs up.

I've seen so many people using it and its free for the most part. I will never pay the $300 I did last year for international calling and data when my phone didn't even work.

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations