We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

I am going to Ocho Rios in June, first time at this location. I am a single person and traveling alone. I would like information on moving around in Ocho Rios, is there public transportation? I am staying at the Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort and would like to go to the main town area and explore, shop and have drinks with the locals. Is it close enough to walk? Is there anything next to the resort, so if I walked outside the resort gates what would be around me? Possibly other resorts? I love to explore on my own, at my own pace and not the commercial tour guides, is it possible and safe? I usually get to a town and rent golf cart and explore, is this an option? All information would be helpful.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

You can take taxi's from the Resort to get into town. Once in town you can walk around. there is a nice bar directly accross the street. Next door to Riu is an awesome restaurant Bamboo Blu right on the beach that you can basically walk to or swim. Scotchies is also down the road a little bit.

United States
Level Contributor
11,246 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

"is there public transportation?

About the only public transportaiton available is by taxi.

"Is it close enough to walk?"

It is about 4 1/2 miles, one way, from Jewel Dunn's River Falls to downtown Ocho Rios. The road to Ocho Rios is the main road around the island with many trucks, busses, and cars but no sidewalk. Walking into town is not safe because of the heavy traffic.

"Is there anything next to the resort. Possibly other resorts?"

You are next to the RIU Ocho Rios hotel.

"I love to explore on my own, at my own pace and not the commercial tour guides, is it possible and safe?"

Yes. Your hotel can arrange for a qualified Jamaican driver with a car to take you anyplace you want to go on the island.

"I usually get to a town and rent golf cart and explore, is this an option?"

Other than at a golf course I have never seen agolf cart in Jamaica.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

You'll love the Jewel, I would happily go there alone. I would not walk into town but it's so easy to hire a good driver for a while and still do your own thing when you get there at your own pace (hiring your own driver can often be cheaper than organising through the hotel). A driver can charge you a flat rate for a period of time, drop you off and be there waiting for you when you are good to get going again.

As explained outside the gates there is a bar called Scallwags across the main road. The Riu and Bamboo Blu are nearby but little else in the immediate area. Have a look on Google Earth, so clear you can even see the loungers on the beach at the hotel - you will get an idea of what is around.

Have a great time.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 23:59
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

Grab a route taxi for a couple bucks and head into town. Explore and enjoy much to do and see. then when you are ready grab one back . If you wanted more luxury treatment just rent a private driver for the day to take you where you want to go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

Nothing in the immediate problem which was the problem that I found.

Walk out to the Main Street and flag a taxi, you should hopefully see one or two local people also waiting for a taxi (I always feel safer getting into a taxi with other people getting in).

A few things to do in Ocho itself but a bit dead around the immediate area. Ocho is probably no more than a 10 min drive.

Be cautious and I luv Jamaica.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

If you do go into town you should decide if you want to go on a cruise ship day or not. Also there will be plenty of "guides" like them or not. I have found them to be useful sometimes but always agree on the price before hand. We really liked the towns farmers market and Turtle Park

7. Re: Ocho Rios - 1st Timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 05:15