We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel dunn river resort

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jewel dunn river resort

We are looking at booking the hotel only as we already have our flights booked for Sept 7/13 - Sept 15/13 (8 nights). Before booking I have couple of questions which I need answered. I have noticed that all rooms are non smoking which is fine by me, but we are both smokers and enjoy sitting on the balcony having a coffee and having a smoke. Is that permitted? Also I'm looking at booking the Diamond Ocean View Concierge room or should we be upgrading to 1 bedroom ocean view. Is there really any differnce between the two other than the butler which I really don't need. My main concern is the view. View is very important as I have alredy said, we love sitting on the balcony enjoying morning coffee and evening drinks,

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

We were upgraded to a Sapphire ocean view room and it was excellent. I wouldn't upgraded to the Diamond Concierge as it didn't seem worth it to us really the only extras are better view, larger bathroom, room service and stocked bar. If these things aren't that important I would stick to the Sapphire Ocean unless you really want to drop some $$$ and get the butler rooms. To be honest we were barely in our room at all but we did enjoy the view and sound of the waves at night

I do believe there are ash trays on the patio as our room was filled with smoke from a group smoking beside us.

Enjoy your trip the Jewel is great!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

Yes, you can smoke on the balcony. I had an oceanview room on the 5th floor of the Sapphire building and was very happy with it - I didn't need a sitting room or alcohol in the room and I wouldn't have wanted or used butler service. But not all the Sapphire oceanview rooms are the same - the lower floors won't have such a good view and will be noisier for instance, and if you're at the end of the Sapphire building nearest the Coral Cafe and Bling (the nightclub) the tops of those buildings will be in your sightline, especially if you're on a lower floor. Luckily my room was at the opposite end of the building, so I just had the courtyard where the pizza place is below me, and an uninterrupted view of the ocean. I'd definitely ask for a higher floor, whichever building you book.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

We were on the 4th floor looking out over the court yard and it was perfect for us. I can't remember our room number but as long as you request the room early and remind them there should be no issue.

We had friends staying in the diamond suite facing the main pool and they still had noise from the main pool and the club but it's not bad at all just close your door. I think the worst would be if you had a diamond room that face the Riu next door,

Jamaica
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

Hi Peaches,

You are certainly permitted to smoke on your balcony and the categories varies according to room size and view. The higher up you go the bigger the rooms are and the better the view gets.

Janice from the Resort

toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

We stayed in the Bulter 1 bedroom suite. The biggest benefit was that the Butler will make your dinner reservations for you, because of this we ALWAYS got a prime table, without having to wait. Biggiest advantage was eating at the Italian restaurant. It looked like if you wanted a table outside, if you did not have a butler making your reservation you had to wait for that table. Our view was overlooking the main pool and ocean, I am pretty sure that you would have this view guarateed but if you book conceirge diamond your view could be towards the Riu. Hope this helps.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

Good afternoon Janice,

Thank you for your response. We would like to book the right room for our needs and wants. I'm hoping you can help. We are looking for a great ocean view from our balcony. As we love to sit and enjoy our morning coffee. View is the most important thing to us. We enjoy having a early evening drink on the balcony as well, so a stock bar would help. By some of the response from my post, I think the Diamond ocean view concierge would be the right choice. As long as our room was on the higher floors closer to the ocean. Could you please let me know if I'm correct.

Thank you, Deb

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

We never had a butler and we received outstanding service in every restaurant. We also never had to wait for a table and seated quickly, not that we mind waiting because really what else do we have planned. As for getting a prime table I think we did well, Marcia and Kevin always had a table ready for us decorated with pink flowers. Kevin even brought me a flower one night as a surprise, so you don't need to spend the extra money on a butler to get outstanding service. The best thing about this resort is the outstanding staff!

8. Re: Jewel dunn river resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:19