We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meet the People Experience???

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Meet the People Experience???

Just wondering if anyone has done the "Meet the People" experience offered through the Jamaican tourism board? My husband and I would like to do this hopefully we can meet up with a nurse and paramedic. It sounds like it would be amazing! If you have done it what has been your experience?

Thanks!

Here's the website you aren't familiar with it:

visitjamaica.com/about-jamaica/meet-people.a…

Phil Lafayette Tours
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
954 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meet the People Experience???

Can't wait to hear feedback regarding this. I already signed up for our trip in November.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meet the People Experience???

Good luck - I signed up for it well in advance of our Dec 2010 vacation. I even rec'd an e-mail confirming my registration about 2 weeks prior to leaving. And that was all - no one contacted us at our resort during the week we were in JA - we were quite dissappointed.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meet the People Experience???

That just seems silly. You can just go out into town and meet people. I have met and are now friends with many families in the area and never had to pay a tour service to do it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meet the People Experience???

what's silly about meeting someone who is willing to show you some of the Jamaica tourists don't usually see? And you don't pay anything for it - it is a voluntary program, which is probably why we weren't contacted at our resort

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meet the People Experience???

If you want to do it, go for it. But try to get something set up before leaving. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up as GDB has stated.

And you might get to meet a nurse, but I'm not sure how many paramedics you are going to meet in Jamaica.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meet the People Experience???

Dj this isn't silly I don't understand why you feel that way. I would like to meet someone in my profession it's interesting getting another perspective especially when it comes to health care. I will be going to Haiti to nurse and I like seeing how different cultures care for their sick. We also have met several locals who we are still good friends with from past trips, this is why we travel is to meet people and learn about their culture.

That's unfortunate that it hasn't worked out for some in the past. I will register and let you know how things turn out! Sadly the Jamaican ambulance are newer and nicer than ours!

Mentioned in this post
Haiti
Haiti
Caribbean
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meet the People Experience???

The one or two ambulances they have on the whole island....

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meet the People Experience???

I notice your not from our neck of the woods but yes. Our ambulance stations aren't staffed sometimes and when they are most paramedics like my husband who is a primary care paramedic only make $2 an hour until they have a call and have to be within 10 minutes of a station. So there are many shifts where my husband makes $20 a shift. In some areas if you get sick you could wait a long time to get care, that golden hour melts pretty quickly. But don't get me started on this.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meet the People Experience???

jamaicaobserver.com/news/Ambulance-service-i…

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meet the People Experience???

Thanks for the article it's interesting and also sad. Sounds like our ambulance service and theirs may be run by the same group.