We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help visiting first time

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please help visiting first time

Hi i would like to know about tipping around ocho rios retaurants taxi,s etc im staying at the sunset jamaica grande any advice would be helpful for my first time stay and what i sould be aware of thanks

United States
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help visiting first time

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s606/Jamaica:…

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help visiting first time

tip a dollar per person per event eg 1 for housekeepers per day each and then bar visit and restaurant tips and then driver tips so I usually take 100 us in 1 dollars for tips and that way i can spread it around if i need more i go to the bank there.

Or see the above and follow the trail to the Vinnie....lol

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help visiting first time

Taxis are readily available - You will get a better price on a taxi if you walk out to the road from SJG then if you get one inside the hotel - Negotiate the price BEFORE you get into the cab, and be sure to use a cab with a red license plate - that is an insured and licensed taxi driver. I tip the same as I would tip at home - For restaurants, etc... - if you walk out of SJG to the main road, turn right and head just past Margaritaville, there is a fishing area with great local food, fresh caught fish and lobster. Your location is in a good place to just get out and walk around town, with several shopping areas nearby.

The price on just about anything is negotiable - bargaining is half of the fun of shopping - Within reason - don't be obnoxious about it, but definitely counteroffer a price given in places such as the craft market, etc... - don't flash a ton of cash around either, just not wise anywhere in life.

Suitland, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help visiting first time

suz is absolute correct. I've just got back from S JG with a group of 37 and that's exactly what we did. We negotiated the price before getting in a taxi without breaking the bank for the week. You're have lots of fun.

ny
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help visiting first time

just came back saturday. we tipped the drivers to/from the airport. housekeeping barely came=us barely tipping, if you catch my drift. i felt like SJG was within walking distance to everything though.

6. Re: Please help visiting first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations