We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

We are heavier and tanner than when we left - LOL. Loved the place! It is NOT like other resorts. It is small, 144 capacity and when we were there last week it was up to 100. The beaches are small, not meant for walking - meant for laying and being pampered!!! Very few rooms have walk out balconies, the majority are french balconies. Everyone there is so polite and professional - that is until you get to know them and start cracking jokes with them. The rooms are nice and comfy - DO go with the royal plan, trust me on this one!!!! Once you start signing your "checks" for your meals and drinks you will be thankful for it. Getting reservations for Papillon and Flambe arent that hard, but do them as soon as you know when and where you want to go to make sure. With the Flambe once booked you have to pick your food ahead of time in order for them to have things prepared for you (first time I've ever seen soup set on fire!!) You pick out appetizer, soup, salad, entree, desert - and watch them prepare it in front of you. I cannot tell you how pampered you will feel there. You can easily get spoiled rotten. The bad part of the trip was getting there. That road to Ocho Rios is BAD!!!!!!!! Because of the roads we didnt get a private car transport like it says in brochure, we got a van that we shared with another couple who came in at the same time we did. And as it was raining hard then we were glad it was a van, but that ride was rough! The food was great, not your typical American sizing and not your typical salty, sweet, greasy fare either. The food was where you could taste the food itself. Just watch out if you order the jerk spareribs from the beach grill - can you say SPICY!! but the meat patties were the best I've ever had in Jamaica. If and when you go say hello to Natalie, Damian, Cleon, Dalan, Terri Ann, Ralston, Gary, and Peter Fraser and Suzanne Middleton. Tell them the couple who celebrated their 30 year anniversary said hello and we miss them. And if you go shopping at Taj Majal and go into the House of Diamonds tell Mad Max that I love my necklace he created for me (and gave us a great deal on) and he is STILL a nut!!!!!!!! LOL

Any questions you may have just let me know.

Level Contributor
1,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Hi...Glad you loved it ..Im going next weekend with my husband? Which of the restaurants was your fav: Flambe, Bayside, or Papillion?? How long did it take you to get to the resort on the bad road?? Was Papillion really dressy or can my husband get away with nice kahki pants and a button down shirt? How were the mango Mimosas? I am so excited about going..Anything else I should know? Did you go to coyaba gardens? Also, do they have one computer for everyone to use?

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Bermuda.......when we landed it was raining so it took longer than the normal 2 hours to get to Royal Plantation, more like 2 1/2 hours. We had one pit stop in that time period. When it comes to what your hubby has to wear.......nice slacks/khakis and a collared shirt be it polo, silk, or long sleeved. I only saw one maybe two guys with a jacket. The big thing for men is to wear the closed toed shoes. We only ate at the Bayside for breakfast, we went between the Flambe and Papillon for the other dinners and one night was the beach buffet at Bayside. Really cannot say like one more than the other because they were both good in their own ways. And bliss is having the mimosas, fresh fruit, and even if you want to - lunch on the beach. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Level Contributor
1,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Sounds Great! Cant wait..Also, do they have one computer the guests can use?? Some places are doing that now....Do you remember what night they do the buffet? If we dont want to do that are is the other restaurant still oen on that night?

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

I saw one computer in the game room that people came in to use but you have to pay for the usage. They did have internet hook ups in the rooms too, but again we didnt use those so have no idea of the costs etc. The beach buffet is on Monday night and everything else is closed except I think for room service. Mentioning room service, it costs 10$ for each time you order it providing you are on the Royal plan. And as far as tipping goes......entirely up to you if you do or dont, but if you do - your options are to slip something to the person/s or leave it for them in an envelope at the front desk. We tipped a few people we really appreciated on check out. If you wish to do that, make sure you can recall their full name because there are several that have the same first name. I'm still waiting for my review with pictures to be posted.

Level Contributor
1,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Thanks for all the info!

Divvaville
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

I went on a FAM there and it was lovely! Did you go to the C-Bar? I know that's not included in the Royal Plan. Did you have the mango mimosas?

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Whats a FAM??? We went to the C-Bar but did not partake of anything......but we did see the guy cut/pop off the top of a bottle of champagne for someone else. WOW!!! Had so many mimosas dont recall which were mango and which were orange juice LOL and the martini night on Friday was killer. They also had snackies (I cant spell hor you know whats) of shrimp and fondue. Oh yeah! just remembered!!! at Flambe you can have fondue as part of your meal

Divvaville
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

SnS: it's a FAMiliarization trip for travel agents.

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

Thanks Nomadic.........while we were there we saw Peter Fraser (what a wonderful man) giving many agents tours of the resort. And my review is posted now - YEAH!!!! just look for the one that says AHHHHHHHHH :)

10. Re: Just got back from Royal Plantation :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 09:16