We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios or Negril

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ocho Rios or Negril

Traveling as single 30- something female, would Ocho Rios or Negril be safer/more entertaining, keeping in mind that I don't drink, smoke or party?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

Either one will be as safe as the other. Depends what you are looking for as to which one youll like better.

Candia, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

The choice does depend on what you will do when there not so much on what you don't do. Both locations have great tours and activities which are quite different. We went to Negril and toured, rode horses and rented a motorcycle. We're going back to Ocho Rios to do some of the more "touristy" things like the bob sled, tubing, etc.

Jamaica is a great country with lots of choices, enjoy.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 10:05
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

For safety, you will be fine at either location. For entertainment, it totally depends on you. If you are a laid back person who just wants sun and beach, Negril would be your choice. If you want to see a bit of Jamaica and enjoy some great attractions, Ocho Rios would be more to your liking. Nightlife in Ochi will also be a plus depending on what resort you stay at. All resorts have nighttime entertainment but if you are close to town you get to mix that with a local experience. Hope that helps......

Midwest
Level Contributor
896 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

As the previous posters have said, either place is equally safe. The biggest difference is the vibe - Ocho Rios is a bit more "touristy" (and not in a bad way) with more things to do nearby, like Dunns RIver Falls, bobsledding, etc.; while Negril is more laid back and relaxed. We also think the beaches are much nicer in Negril.

Also, if you will be traveling in winter months, you may find the ocean at Ochi rougher. Winter weather comes south off the sea, so the water can get a bit choppy at times. Negril is "around the corner" and more protected, so the water tends to be calmer.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

Thank you for your help. For snorkeling is one better than the other? Also...are the two locales terribly far away from each other? If I chose to visit one by bus would it be impossible to do so in a day or two? I've looked up mileage and transportation options, but I thought it would help to get an insider view.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 19:28
Midwest
Level Contributor
896 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

I don't have any intel on snorkeling at Ochi. In Negril, there's a reef offshore you can book snorkeling to. I've never gone - because I don't like the idea of swimming with big fish around. :)

Ochi is 2 hrs by bus east of the airport at Mobay. Negril is 90 mins west of Mobay. I suppose you could book a taxi or driver and get from one to the other in maybe 2.5 hours.

What all are you looking for in your vacation? Both places are nice, but different - so if I know what all you want, perhaps I can be more specific in recommendations.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

I almost always visit both locations. Ochi first for the high excitement type of vibe, and attractions, partying (you don't do that) and then Negril to have a wind down before return home.

But it is very easy and inexpensive to book a few days (2 or 3) in Negril for a laid back portion of your trip.

I many times use this site OneStopNegril.com to find really reasonable accommodations both on the beach and the cliff

8. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:22