We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water safe?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
10 posts
Save Topic
Tap water safe?

Is the tap water safe in Ocho Rios? I will be staying at Sunset Grande Ocho Rios in October.

Florida
Level Contributor
379 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap water safe?

Yes, Jamaican tap water is perfectly safe.

Haverhill...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap water safe?

OK, thanks! I was told I need to get vaccinated just in case. That just made me a little nervous. Thanks again.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap water safe?

If you dont mind me asking, Who told you to get vaccinated, and for what?

I was wondering about bottled water actually.

Also, I'm going to bring those brita water bottles that have their own filters in them.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap water safe?

Tap water at Jamaican resorts and in resort cities is 100% fin to drink. No worries t all. Zero.

Haverhill...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap water safe?

I go to Mount auburn hospital and they have a travel clinic. I found this info on the center for disease control, a link on the Mount Auburn site. …cdc.gov/travel/…jamaica

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap water safe?

Buy bottled water. I must say that although I have had filtered tap water, I do always purchase bottled water both to drink and to cook with.

I think it's an individual choice. I'd go with bottled water especially if it's only for a week (although water is expensive in Jamaica) ($1.00 to $2.00 US for a personal sized bottle.)

There's really no guarantee since the bottled water has a bitter tasted sometimes (I think that's the chemicals from the plastic due to poor storage... just guessing)

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap water safe?

If you read the details of those vaccines, it is mostly if you're going to be camping in Jamaica for lack of a better word. In all honesty, bats here probably have rabies, too, right? No worries!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap water safe?

@BSGirl, while we do have Bats in Jamaica, they are not very popular........

Boston...
Level Contributor
57 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tap water safe?

I second what BSBgirl said. And if it's any consolation, I just came back from vacation in a rural village in Antigua which has the same CDC travel advisories as Jamaica but is less developed. I chose not to get vaccinated and drank and cooked with the tap water there as I have done every time I've gone to Jamaica. I'm still alive and healthy. Risk is everywhere. So just enjoy your vacation!

Pittsburgh...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap water safe?

You can drink the tap water at the resort no problem. As for vaccines you should not need those either. The only vaccine I would suggest would be an updated Tetanus if you have not had one incase you step on something on the beach ect. I am pregnant and talked to my OB about my upcoming trip. I have been to Jamaica before and drank the water but just wanted to clear it since it is not all about me now. Her answer was the water is fine go and enjoy.