We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butler service -tips SGR

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Butler service -tips SGR

So it's the one thing that's stressing me about this holiday how much and when do you tip your butlers? Do you get better service it you tip them every day? Or do you wait until the end of the week and tip then? I don't want to offend!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

Please remember that tipping is not to get good service....it's a thank you for service well done! :)

The most often quoted guideline for tipping your butler at Sandals is $15-20US per butler per day. Some will give more than this, others less. You will have two butlers and you might find one does more for you than the other, so perhaps your gratuity will be different for each of them.

I bring along blank cards in which I write a personal note of thanks for each butler and include the cash gratuity inside the card which we give to them at the end of our stay. You might want to find out when each butler has their last shift with you, so you don't miss giving them the card personally. Some folks do tip daily, others tip part way through and again at the end of their stay. If you are unsure, you could ask your butlers what their preference is.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 24 August 2013, 18:35
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

Please believe me I know I'm not tipping for good service and absolutely its s thank you. But there has been a number of reviews that commented on not being treated as well if you don't tip every day...

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

Dollylockers: We had the timing question ourselves. The way we resolved it was to forthrightly just ask our Butlers in person. Recognition is always best received when it's most meaningful to the recipient...and timing is one aspect of meaningfulness. So my recommendation is when you get to the property and meet your Butlers, go ahead and just ask them.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

I definitely agree with SRCFan, it is definitely ok to ask. You could "disguise" your question by saying something like, "Will you be with us all week?" That way you know the persons schedule and which day would be best for them. Or say, " I appreciate your service and I'd like to leave you gratuity. Is it ok to leave it with you the day (before) we check out?" Have a "plan" and see how they react. I'm certain they will be appreciative whether you approach them or whether you leave it at the end of your stay (which is what I typically read on the message boards). I really like the idea of leaving a personalized card!

People who need to "buy" good service don't seem to come off as pleasant people anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that! Sandals employees are strongly discouraged to accept personal tips, like at the bar, etc. so people who do that are simply breaking the rules and are most likely expecting one on one service, which is impossible at the pool bar!

Your butlers will do lots of special things for you and you wil most likely develop a lovely relationship with one or both of them. They will "know" what kind of person you are and treat you well. Mostly because its their job, but also because you can show genuine appreciation in ways other than money :) then, when they receive their gratuity, they will now its from the heart!

Edited: 24 August 2013, 22:23
Winterville, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

Will they take pictures for you?

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

@Helen G--- they will definetly take pictures for you.

7. Re: Butler service -tips SGR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:18