We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

After researching villas in Ochi for a weekend getaway I came across Afiba villa . All was well until I paid the deposit and only then was I sent the booking contract. Ms Bryan charges her guest $15.00 for the use of the AC per night.I've traveled throughout Jamaica a few times a year and never paid additional to use the air condition. I feel that if you're going to charge for this it should be listed or add it into the nightly rate. Guest shouldn't find out about the fees after they have paid and you have a non refundable policy that's shady. I could have more than paid the $45.00 dollar extra but it was the principle. What about the people who might book with you for weeks at a time then get hit with the extra charge. Then you have the nerve to send me a disrespectful message because I called you out on it. I work hard for my money so I'm not about to give it to you for free. If your still interested in booking Afiba villa please ask to see a contract before you pay your money.

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

I am so sorry to hear that you were charged additional fees that was not previously agreed or discussed.

As a villa owner myself, I am fully aware of the cost incurred by keeping ACs on 24 hrs per day. However, it would make good business sense to let your customer know upfront.

I would suggest, you speak to the owner to see if there is anything he can do.

Good luck and have a great vacation

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

I know a few places that charge an extra per day charge for use of the A/C (it comes with a key that you use to turn the unit on with). Other places that have some rooms w/ AC and some without charge more for the rooms with.

You probably are unaware of exactly how much current costs there - its outrageous. But I do agree that the extra fee should have been disclosed before you booked.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

A hidden charge is just not nice. I would be vex too. I've looked hard at my JPS bill when guests are staying & it does average out to approx. $20.US per night, per bedroom for additional charges for A/C. It should just be factored into the price or given as an option... you get the room & no A/C for "X" or you get the room with A/C & the cost is "Y" (could be "W" or "Z" ... heheee)

Anyway, I hope you are able to at least encourage the owner/manager to change their disclosure policy.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

Hi Frosty!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

I've paid a different rate for not having AC in a villa, or rather, got a low rate and agreed to pay electricity bill. It worked really well for us, but I agree you have to know this going in. We had a choice - one rate with unlimited AC or a different, much lower, rate with AC metered. We made out very well with the latter and it honestly made us conscious of our use - we made a point of turning it off when we were not in the room and so on. I actually didn't use mine at all - there was a unit for each bedroom and we had 5 - but some of us did use it at night.

Anyway, this is something that should be disclosed up front, i agree.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

Hiya Rastagirl! Hiya Ohliz... hey Liz would you PM me please if you get a chance if you have more info on how that metered rate worked? Would love to know more & possibly implement at my place ;)

kent england
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

how much 2 adults and 2 children 2 weeks. do you do airport transfer please include any hidden prices thank you.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 18:30
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

Frosty I totally missed this, sorry! Will PM you now.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

@Dayna, what property are you trying to get a quote for? I dont think you will get a rate from a property on this forum, you may have to choose a property and get in touch with them directly.

10. Re: Hidden Fees at Afiba Villa and Sade Bryan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:21