We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pack for a Purpose

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Pack for a Purpose

If anyone is interested this is a great site if you are looking for suggestions as to what to bring to dontate to local schools in Jamaica.

packforapurpose.org/docs/destination.shtml

We used it when we went to Sandals Grande Riviera in November and the items were very well received.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pack for a Purpose

I wanted to bump this post up. This is a great program, and I intend to do it, too. You can weigh your suitcase before you go, and since you're leaving the items there, they won't take up any of your weight limits on the way home. More room for liquor, lol!

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pack for a Purpose

This will be our 2nd trip to SGR and we've already bought our books to take on the Sandals Foundation Reading Road trip.

That said, I wasn't aware of Pack for a Purpose and the website was full of great alternatives if you don't want to bring books.

Thanks for passing this along. I think I'll need a bigger suitcase! :)

R K
Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pack for a Purpose

Thanks for posting this :-) I had heard about this program earlier this year, but couldn't find the link. Since we are flying first class this year, we can bring an extra suitcase or two for coffee and stuff, so I can bring things for the children/schools in Jamaica and coffee home on the return trip...

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,075 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pack for a Purpose

Fantastic program. We have friends that have done the Reading Tour and loved it. We hope to do it as well. Always a need for the supplies as well. Thanks for posting Milan.

rok
Canada Bay...
Level Contributor
210 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pack for a Purpose

R.K. Richardson, Taxas... Congratulations for your generocity. You're a man after our own hearts. Exactly what we do. In addition to kiddie articles, we bring things like Dr. Scholls shoes and OFFER them to staff in lieu of tipping. Never been refused. Quietly of course. Besides having a note ready I also tell the Supervisor on duty what our intentions are. That way nobody gets in any trouble.

australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pack for a Purpose

I just wanted to endorse this post - We used Pack for a Purpose on our recent trip to Africa. I knew I wanted to bring stuff to give to the less fortunate but wasn't sure what was appropriate. This site is excellent it lists all the hotels/resorts/camps in the country your visiting who participate with Pack for a Purpose and lists exactly which items to bring. I forgot to mention in my reviews of the hotels the 3 places who accepted goods - these were

Kafunta Lodge Zambia, Onsea House Arusha Tanzania, and Ras Nungwi Resort Zanzibar.

Pittsburgh...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pack for a Purpose

Thank you for posting this - what a great idea! We are flying Southwest, so we get two free checked bags. Does anyone know what you need to do if your resort isn't on the list? We will be staying at the Jewel Dunn's River. Have you ever heard of anyone coming to pick up items? If not, we are considering doing a private transfer from Sangster - it looks like there are two participating resorts along the way where we could drop the items off.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pack for a Purpose

Wow, great link! I will be passing this along in the futrure:)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pack for a Purpose

Dear Amy,

As the founder of Pack for a Purpose i want to thank you for your generous spirit! All places listed on our website are most happy to accept supplies from the needs list of the projects they support. Just drop them off at the front desk with the card you can print on our How to Pack page so they know the supplies are as a result of you seeing the list on our website.

With appreciation,

Rebecca Rothney

Pittsburgh...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pack for a Purpose

Thanks for the info Rebecca!