We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

swindon
Level Contributor
323 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

Looking to book one of these hotels for our 30th wedding anniversary, and wondered if anyone out there had been to both, and could offer some advice.

We would prefer a quieter resort, with the option of some entertainment, but enough quiet spots to spend the days, and evenings. Sans Souci is more expensive, when booking from the UK, but cost is not the deciding factor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

We have been to all 4 of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica and Tower Island is the only one to which we would probably not return. It is not that there is anything wrong with it, and many people love it and return year after year, it is just that it is very hotel like and the buildings and pools etc almost fill the available land. Since you are looking for a quieter resort with quiet spots, CSS would be an excellent choice. The resort is beautiful and the grounds are spacious. Much as I love CSA and Couples Negril, Couples Sans Souci would be my first choice for a special celebration such as yours.

BTW if you do choose CSS, just note that the entry level rooms do not have any outside space - you need to upgrade to get a balcony or terrace.

Saskatoon, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

We are returning for the third time to Couples San Souci (CSS). For us it offers the the best mix of things to do. The main pool and beach, the AN facilities, the golf, the fitness facilities and mineral pool, the variety of hot tubs on the property, the beautiful and lush grounds and the relatively small population of the resort suit us perfectly.

Last year we were at the top of G block and I counted the steps to the beach - 147 - so be forewarned. There are a number of different routes up and down the resort and each one offers a unique viewpoint and ambience, so for us it was no problem.

We also spent a coupe of days over at Couples Tower Island (CTI) and found that this was also a nice resort, but it felt more like a nice modern high rise hotel plunked on the beach. Not saying it was bad, in fact when we asked to have a look at one of the rooms it was more up to date than those at CSS and had a great view of the ocean, but (and I am sorry CTI) it lacked the ambience of CSS. The actual tower island was interesting, but the facilities were surprisingly primitive, with a rudimentary washroom and no proper boat launching area (one of our group didn't realize how deep the water was when told to jump out and managed to soak his e readers- which ruined them).

We have also stayed at Couples Negril and enjoyed that property as well, great beach and pools, not as good views. In all cases we have found the food to be good and the vacations at Couples resorts to be excellent. I think that in your case, the comment that you are looking for "quiet spots" would make CSS the right choice for you.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

Agreed! I went to CSS in 2011 and picked it over CTI for the same reasons listed above. If you are looking for quiet, private, jungle type feel to a resort then CSS is for you! Also to go topless at CTI you have to go to the end of the pier Vs. at CSS where you can go topless on the main beach. Both have AN, it's just CTI's AN is on the island vs. CSS AN beach which is very nice and private. CSS does have lots of stairs though so if you have walking or mobility issues perhaps CTI would be a better fit. Or pick a beachfront room to avoid most of the walking/stairs. Feel free to check out mine and others past reviews to get a feel on the differences in the places & rooms as well. You really can't go wrong with Couples:)

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

@Forest, what's your age group?

swindon
Level Contributor
323 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

We are both in our late 50s, but still quite young at heart!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

From what you describe I would also suggest San Souci. I am here now and this place dies not feel like a hotel. It is 150 rooms spread over 35 acres of land. There are lots of quiet areas and social areas to choose from, so you can do what you want. The staff at both are amazing and you will want for nothing. Just keep in mind that this is an older resort so no glitz and glam of marble and granite, but it's clean and well maintained.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

As others have said, for quiet spots, CSS fits the bill.

When my wife and I visited for a day, we continually found ourselves saying, "WOW!", as we explored the grounds. They are simply amazing. Half of the resort built on top of the cliffs and the other half on a main beach in a secluded cove. (We didn't try the AN beach/pool).

Keep in mind that with the resort split between beach and cliff, there are many many stairs involved if you venture from one to the other. You just need to be aware of this if you have mobility issues.

Both resorts are great, but from your original post, CSS gets my nod for you.

Enjoy!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

@Forest, young at heart may not translate to young in the knees. I am going to suggest Couples Tower Isle over Sans Souci. While CSS is a great resort with a lovely bay/beach, in order to get from the lobby and spa areas to the beach and some rooms, there are many steps as the resort is located on a hillside. CTI also has a tendency for a more mature crowd.

swindon
Level Contributor
323 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

Thank you Glen, comments noted. As we are both still keen athletes (and have recently returned from trekking in the Himalayas!) we should be OK with the steps, but it is useful info to help us with our decision.

Many thanks

Eric

Wahoo, Nebraska
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: COUPLES Tower Isle or Sans Souci?

foresthouse,

We fell in love with San Souci one year ago and are heading there again on the 18th. As Novastar noted, it is not glitz and glamor, but is is clean, comfortable and VERY charming and relaxing. The grounds are very lush and tropical. It does not have the long stretches of beach like 7 mile beach in Negril, however, San Souci's beaches are private. No vendors or guests from other resorts on the beaches at San Souci. Good to hear you are athletic. The views are amazing from up on the cliffs and you really do feel as though you are in a jungle. Hammocks, hot tubs and mineral pools surprise you as you explore. Staff is so very friendly and you are greeted with smiles every day. Enjoy!