We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

We will be going to Ocho this winter (wedding). First time there, likely wont visit again for a while (planning Negril the next year or 10 or MoBay). So, I figure that dunns river falls is the logical "must see". Problem is I have no burning desire to. I don't know if I have been put off by so many "you have to go" or you "must see it" like it is the only excursion in the entire island to do. Isn't it man made anyway?

I guess I just need someone that has been to many of the jamaica on and off the beaten path spots to say "YES, too_cold, you are completely missing out if you don't go to Dunns!" Or, "You're right, you're really not missing anything but a tourist trap there anyhow". In any even I'm just kinda "Meh" about it.

So, help me decide. YAY or NAY on Dunns River Falls. If you say NAY what would be your 1 MUST SEE in Ocho (please don't say mystic mountain - I feel like I could do that in Calgary. Everytime I look at the pamphelt I think CHEESY). Is there a One Love Bus Tour in Ocho?

HELP! Find me my must see in or around Ocho. Cheers.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

I don't believe the falls are man made, but maybe I'm just uneducated on that topic.

I'm not somebody who has been to many of the on or off the beaten path spots. But I'll give you my 2 cent opinion anyhow.

Climbing the falls was neat. That part of the excursion was nice. Standing at the bottom of the falls, looking up at it and looking at the people around you, thinking "how are they going to get all these fat white people up this hill?" But they do it. Or I should say, we do it. And that is fun.

But the souvenir gauntlet at the end was difficult. Very pushy, very aggressive vendors. To the point of grabbing your shirt and kind of tugging you into their stall. Not a violent tug, but you had to be very assertive to pull away. I was not prepared for that mentally and it took me a bit to adjust. if I could to Dunn's River without having to run the souvenir gauntlet again, I would do it. But that's the only way.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

I say NAY to Dunn's River Falls. I never really wanted to see it, and on one of my last trips, I had a free catamaran trip to it. It's ok, but I don't consider it a must see. I am not big on excursions anyway, so I don't really have a must see for you, but I am planning to go to Luminous Lagoon on my next trip, and I'm very excited about it. If you go after me, I can tell you if it's a "must-see". :)

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

Well the "tugging" explains why I know so many people that look at me funny when I tell them I love Jamaica. I think most of them are hot off the cruise ship and "fresh meat" with fat wallets, so to speak :)

Would you suggest any other tour or must see in the Ocho area?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

BSB - I agree - sand gravity takes a hold of me pdq. We are going in March to Ocho but Jan to MoBay. When are you going? Was thinking of the Luminous Lagoon during our Jan trip with our family (just don't know if it will be age appropriate for our 6 year old).

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

I go in Novemer, so I will let you know. I am not sure a 6 year old would appreciate it, and it is about halfway between Ochi and MB, so it's not right around the corner either. I will definitely post about it when I get back!

Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

In my first trip to JA I did Dunns. Having not researched or read anything about it other than it is a "must do" thing, I went in with an open mind. I probably should have researched it a little. If I would have known I had to climb up a 600 ft waterfall I would have never done this. I am super afraid of heights! But not wanting to let me fears get the best of me made the trek up the falls. During the climb I was too scared to really enjoy it but looking back I'm glad I did it. Personally I wouldn't recommend dunns rivers to my friends because I feel it's very touristy. It was definitely fun and exciting but I prefer to view my waterfalls safely from the base lol.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

My husband and I did it last time we were there, I thought it sucked! WAY TOO TOURISTY! They made it so cheesy with all the cheering, and picture taking. I wouldn't waste your time. When we are there next we plan on doing the Blue Hole, from my understanding it's not so tourist (yet anyway!) Check out some of the reviews about it looks like more of an authentic Jamaican experience.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

Dunns is definitely not artificial, it's a natural waterfall and a lovely one.

That said, if I were in Ochi I'd definitely substitute Enchanted Gardens - also has waterfalls but without the crowds. Or the "secret/hidden falls" or "blue hole" mentioned above that a lot of taxi drivers offer that doesn't really have a name I'm aware of.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 23:17
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

@Too Cold, Dunn's River Falls as it is, is Jamaica's largest and most famous tourist attraction. This very natural waterfall actually goes up to 900ft, however you are only allowed to climb up to 600ft.

That said, it is the biggest tourist trap on my island........ true, but is really something to see. It is not a MUST see, as Jamaica boasts more waterfalls than you can imagine. If you insist on going there, I will suggest that you go early, that way you avoid the crowds and that special "commercial" feeling.

If you decide not to see it but want to get off the beaten track in Jamaica and see the "other side", there are quite a few options for that.

Luminous lagoon would not be a problem for a six year old, the phenomenon of water that glows is fascinating for children, if they can swim that would be a plus.

Might I suggest checking out www.jamaicaxplored.com and see if that helps you just a bit.

Northern, N.B
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is my problem - Dunns River Falls

We went there, it is beautiful, We did not enjoy the climb, hand holding etc. Sorry we did not explore the beach more as is is beautiful to see the falls run to the salt water!!!! I believe from what I have heard, I would do the Y and S Falls or how ever one spells it. But overall to do the falls itself, in my opinion is dangerous!!!!!