We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Charleroi...
7 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Hello,

We are going to the Sandals Whitehouse resort from November 18th-22nd. I actually just made this last minute changes. We were scheduled to to to the Negril Resort, but then after reading multiple reviews found out that the Negril resort is entirely being renovated. I made a quick decision to go to the Whitehouse location instead. Therefore, I have two questions for the Tripadvisor community!!!

1) If you have been to the Whitehouse resort can you comment on some tips that might be helpful and tell me what you liked/disliked?

2) The only complaint I saw was possibly about Sand Fleas........did anyone have this experience??

Thank You so Much

~Jenna~

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

You might try this question in the "whitehouse" forum for better information. Although many Sandals guests have frequented a variety of the resorts :)

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Jenna...welcome to Trip Advisor. You've chosen a great resort to try!

I would highly recommend reading through the Whitehouse forums and also the reviews for Sandals Whitehouse. These will give you a flavour for the resort and offer some great tips.

SWH is our favourite of all Sandals...there is nothing we dislike about the place that stops us from returning. Stay #11 at Whitehouse is coming up in two weeks. As far as the sandfleas...some folks are magnets for them. I'm not, and don't think I've had one bite in our years of going to the resort. Hubby has had a few. Avoid the beach at dusk and dawn and after rain when the fleas are most active. Also bring along a repellent which includes Deet.

Enjoy your stay...it's paradise!

Edited: 22 October 2013, 21:28
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Jenna32085: We've been to SWH and 5 other Sandals properties in 2 other countries besides Jamaica. Here's our list of likes/dislikes for SWH...and all these are highly personal. Of course your mileage may vary.

Dislikes:

1. Too far from the airport.

2. Too big compared to some other Sandals properties.

3. Lack of swim up River Suite style accommodations.

4. Lack of dedicated clothing optional section of property.

1. Long beach for morning runs.

2. Dedicated martini bar.

3. Piazza style area is fairly unique to the Sandals franchise.

So for us if you take a look at the Dislikes above...it's no wonder SRC is our favorite within the Sandals empire. Not at all a knock against SWH. What you'll discover in your research or if you visit multiple Sandals properties is that they are NOT cookie cutter resorts from a physical plant, layout or features perspective in many respects and these differences are what helps guests decide on which properties they'll visit and frequent with returning visits.

Sand flea issue is universal...too many variables to say in a blanket statement one resort, part of the country, time of year, etc. is better from another.

Charleroi...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Thanks...........I thought I posted on the right one, I was looking at some many.

Thanks!!

Charleroi...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Travelpair55

That makes me so happy to hear you say it's your favorite............Thank you for all of the Advice!!1

I think I can relax now........phew :-)

Charleroi...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

SRCFan

I appreciate your breakdown and advice!!! We have never been to a Sandals resort, so this is our first visit. We will have to frequent them to find our favorite. Thank you again.......this is all very helpful!

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Avon's skin so soft works great for the bugs... I was there last november - the jelly fish were BAD! saw lots of tourists with jelly fish stings - it was much worse than the bugs... I love to be in the ocean - going to ochi this year!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

SWH is built on a swamp which is why the sand fleas are bad. I'm not sure if they still spray the beach.

The sand fleas didn't get me but my g/f a different story.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

Jenna, excellent choice. SWH is one of our favorites, and we have been to most of the Sandals. As a teacher and my wife as an RN (serving others everyday) we enjoy having the great privacy and the opportunity to get-away that this resort offers. I believe TP covered the tips department very well in your other posts. As far as the sand flies we have never had an issue with them and we are on the beach most of the day. With eight stays we haven't run into anyone with a problem either. They do spray the grounds everyday and I'm sure that makes the difference. Have fun. Oh, we just returned from SN and there is some major renovations happening with the Paradise Building, otherwise nothing else happening. They have completed the Swim-up Bar retiling, looks great.

10. Re: Sandals Whitehouse Resort Questions - Advice and Sand Fleas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:18