We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OK
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

Has anyone done these things? Saw a bit on the Travel Channel about Faith's Pen and it looked like an interesting place to get some local street food.

Also, looking for a bamboo rafting experience closer to Ochi (don't want to drive back to Martha Brae to do it) and the White River was suggested. Not looking for the tubing experience, but the bamboo rafts. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,783 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

I've eaten at Faith's Pen. It's pretty cool....stall after stall after stall of all kinds of food...jerk, fish, soups, festival, you name it. It's on the main highway between Ochi and Kingston and is designed to be easy for travelers (and trucks and such) to pull in and out of. When I stepped out of my car a few guys ran up and really wanted me to come to their stall but when I said I wanted to look at all of them they were cool. I chose what I wanted in the end, and when I asked for a drink that stall didn't have, a guy ran over to another to get it for me. Very easy, good food, cheap too. I feel like it's about an hour from Ochi if that...Kingston is two and it felt like halfway, more or less.

I don't know if bamboo rafting happens on the White, I know there's tubing. It might just be Martha Brae and of course the original at Rio Grande, about 2 hours east of Ochi. If you do the latter, spend a whole day in Portland, there is so much to see and do there.

OK
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

Thanks ohilz. Did you use USD or JA? Just wondering if I should have some JA currency when I go there.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

@Whitesands, Faith's Pen is located about 40 mins out of Ocho Rios on the route to Kgn and while I do consider there to be a difference between Pan Chicken (which they do) and Jerk Chicken, they do offer quite a variety of authentic Jamaican food.

Rafting on the White River is still being done along with the tubing. My opinion however still puts Martha Brae as a better option as White River has more rapids, less suitable to the idea of bamboo rafting and more to tubing.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,783 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

I used JA$ and all prices were posted in JA$. I use JA$ everywhere in Jamaica, though I suppose they could deal with US$, getting change and an accurate exchange rate might be a challenge.

OK
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

Thanks! I'll just plan to exchange some USD before heading up there.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,783 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

It'll be handy in Ochi too :)

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

I would definitely recommend the white river rafting, many of our guest have been their and enjoyed the tranquil setting. Guides are polite and entertaining.

The food at Faiths Pen is delicious and authentic Jamaican food. Enjoy.

8. Re: Faith's Pen and White River Calypso Rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 06:19