We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

Westborough...
7 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

My wife and I are heading to SGR in 3 weeks to celebrate a special anniversary (30 years). We have been to other AIs but this is our first trip to Jamacia. Any suggestions on the best place to have a romantic dinner?

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

Kelly's out on the pier has the best ambiance. A lot of people also like the candlelight dinner out on the beach --- but that will cost you around $170.

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

Just another thought --- if you have a butler room you could have your butler set up a romantic dinner on your balcony or patio and order from any of the restaurants.

Westborough...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

Thanks for the suggestions. We will have a butler but I'm still not sure what they can or cannot do.

Colorado
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

What are your dates? We're there 2-12 Dec. Hope to spend most mornings diving.

Westborough...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

We arrive on Dec 8 for 1 week. Neither of us dive but we hope to do some snorkling.

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

We are pretty laid back people so we don't request a lot from our butlers, but I would have them deliver breakfast every morning --- love the eggs benedict. We also had special liquor requests--- have to have a bottle of Baileys in my room!! And we would also have them bring a lot of extra Red Stripe for my husband to take to the golf course. Would also request certain snacks or juices. They would also make our dinner reservations if we wanted. Used to have them reserve a lounger by the pool, but they can't do that anymore. They also do a lot on their own --- like coming back to your room and finding it decorated or the tub filled and decorated with candles and flowers. Also if you run into any problems they will take care of it for you --- like I could not get connected to the internet so they called IT for me.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

www.sandals.com/main/ochorios/or-butler.cfm

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
85 posts
559 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

We had a great time at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios last week. November 2nd to November 10th 2013

If you have never been to a Sandals before you are in for a treat. 15 restaurants at this resort and you should try to dine at most of them. For breakfast you can visit Sabrina's Marketplace on the hillside property or visit Kelly's Dockside at the seaside property. Both are equally good - Sabrina's has waffles and cherry topping that I so much loved. For lunch make sure you try a pizza from one of the two pizza restaurants on the property. Its great for a light snack and you will not be dissapointed.

For dinner - Reef Terrace - I would recommed for the views and the food.

Kimono's is always good - they cook the Jappanesse rice and meat right in front of you. You will get a good portion of food and will not leave hungry.

Valentino's Italian food - make sure you are either not hungry or make sure to call room service and get a Burger to fill you up because although the food is delicious the portions are very very small. Even for a runway model.

I went fishing with a local fisherman that had his boat out at the Sandals pier. I caught 3 marlin and 1 barracuda. If you want to see pics of them review my post Sandals Grande Riviera under David A. Kennewick WA

Fisherman Servin charged us $90 an hour for two people. It was a lot cheaper than the chartered BIG boat out of Sandals and I think more fun.

We also went on the Heritage Honeymoon Horseback ride with Island Routes Tours from Sandals - You will start off at the stables and then make your way thru the forest to the beach. If you do this tour you and your someone specail will have a romantic lunch for two and you will also get a CD of your trip.

We also went on the Bamboo River Rafting with Island Routes - 1 hour of rafting down the river in an origanal Bamboo Raft. It was so much FUN!!!!!

We also went on the Catamaran Cruise with Island Routes as well - 4 hour tour - Snorkeling then off to the Dunn's River Falls and then drink it on up on the way back. It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed ourself.

We stayed on the upper property in a villa suite. We had butler service - our butlers Kelly & Latoya where awesome.

We rented a Cabana on our last day down at the Ochi Beach Club for $125 for the day. What do you get for your $125 - you get your own butler ( even if you are not in a butler room ). They will get you your breakfast - lunch and dinner if you wish. It comes with two 15 minute massages for the two of you which will be given by two employees from the Spa.

My wife and I also had a couple massage during our stay which was fantastic. We had it at the Ochi Beach Club above the pool area. It was so relaxing and well needed.

We had our butler get us a taxi ( car service ) and take us to go shopping. He took us to Taj Mahal Shopping Centre in Ocho Rios. It is a gated, and guarded entrance.....so its safe. The Taj Mahal is 2 stories of shops - restaurants - jewelery stores - a place to get Starbucks type coffee drinks at Cafe Express ( located upstairs ) and much more.

Every Wednesday they have a Chocolate Night at Sandals located at the upper level in front of the Manor Building.

I believe that they have 3 swim up pool bars at this resort and our villa shared a pool with another couple.

I was a little dissapointed with the dinner service at Kelly's Dockside restaurant down at the pier. It took way to long to take our order and the food took to long to get to us. Once the food arived it was good. From the time we sat down to the time we left was about 2 hours and we left before our dessert arrived.

You also must visit Scotchies 2 - which is outside Ocho Rios - we took the same taxi to the restaurant.

If you want some Jerk Chicken and Pork and much more you must visit Scotchies 2. Locals love it as well.

Our taxi driver went with us and helped us order, so we bought him dinner as well.

We had Jerk Chicken and Pork and some Festival Bread ( which you must try ) and some Yams and Sweet Potatos. The sauce is HOT - but not the kind of HOT the ruins a meal. You wont be dissapointed. See my review for pics and more detail.

We also dinned at Bamboo Blu - its about 15 minutes away from Sandals by taxi. Its a unique restaurant right on the beach and just yards from the Ocean. You can dine inside or out. Please make sure to try the Plantain Chips - they are delicious and only $4 for a basket of them with sauce.

Of course you can just stay at the resort and get all the food and drink you want for Free....but I think that everyone should get to know the area they are visiting and get to know a little bit about the culture.

Overall our stay was great at Sandals and in Ocho Rios.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our stay, I would be happy to assist.

Feel free to view our reviews for Sandals Grande Riviera - Island Routes Adventure - Bamboo Blu Restaurant - Dunn's River and Ocho Rios.

If you find that any of our posts and or pics have been of any help please click "YES" if it was helpful.

I hope you enjoy your vacation to Ocho Rios.

David A

Kennewick WA.

9. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:18