We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

Flying with BA to Kingston on 15th Jan. Got some questions...

What to expect on arrival at airport...

Transfer to resort... Booked through Barrhead Travel and transfers are included... Not sure what that looks like tho?

Hints and tips for resort... Staying in a Butler villa... Secret areas to find, what to do, what to see, what activities are there

There for a week so want to enjoy as much of the hotel as possible but also don't want to miss out on seeing some of this beautiful country as 1st time here.

Butler service... Never done anything like this... Do they contact you before you get there or do you meet them on arrival?

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

Feel free to add anything else you think I should know.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

re Butler: Log into the main Sandals website and at the bottom of the page, click on 'butler preferences'. Fill out their questionaire so they know what type of drinks you want stocked, special requests, etc. The butler will greet you upon arrival at the resort. Prepare to be pampered!! And don't be shy about asking for things...we were a bit uncomfortable 'bugging' them the first time we had the service but after two times now, we are getting used to it.

Have a great trip!!

Edited: 04 January 2014, 22:43
Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

Ok, I'll keep going...transfer to SGR will be a large van. Just don't sit in the back! Some complaints about too much luggage being loaded in back so people are basically sitting on luggage.

The airport can be dodgy..what time are you landing? How busy it is depends on day and time of arrival. We landed on a Thurs at 2:20 pm and it was a mob scene. Took us around a hour to get thru immigration since there were six planes that landed at once...mainly due to mother nature interfering so flights were stacked up. Then you pick up your luggage, go thru customs and straight out double doors. The Sandals rep and lounge is right there.

I think that's all the advice I can share since we stay at SN, not SGR.

Cheers!!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

Sandals offers included transfers from both MBJ and KIN... Not sure what yours will be like through your booking. It can be almost 2 hours transfer and very mixed reviews from Kingston.

Sandals does not have an arrival lounge in Kingston, so if you are interested, you might consider booking a "Club Kingston" arrival and/or departure package: www.vipattractions.com/club-kingston.php

There is a large shopping center down the road from the resort. There are shops and at least two marketplaces. Vendors can be pushy, so be firm and know the basic exchange rate so you have an idea of what you are paying. Bring small bills. People might not make change for you and you might overpay. JA, US and CA dollars are widely accepted.

Your butlers can help you arrange any transportation, but make sure it is a red plate cab and discuss fees prior to entering the cab. Ensure round trip fees, etc.

There are many planned excursion for sale through the resort. The Dunn's River falls catamaran is very popular. For authentic experiences, you might consider discussing with your butlers.

Butlers will do anything, if you let them know your expectations. Don't be afraid to ask them or discuss your plans, likes and dislikes. They won't read your mind, but are willing to help outside of the basic fruit platter and rides around the resort.

There are whirlpools around the hillside, again, ask your butler for a ride and explore. You can go to the tip top of the resort and look down at the ocean. To get from the manor side to the riviera side you will ride a shuttle bus. Plenty of activities and water sports available for no cost. Two snorkels a day, go in the morning before the water gets rough and cloudy. Try a dirty banana, hummingbird and Jamaican smile. Visit the golf course for fun.

Bring a small amount of liquid clothes soap to rinse out bathing suits, etc. bring a thermal mug for refills, and some dish soap to wash them out. Bring clips to keep your towels on the chairs. Bring sunscreen if needed, basics can be very expensive. Same for aloe gel/lotion. It is no longer included in toiletries. Bring three bathing suits so you always have a dry one.

Watch for specials on the photoshop and spa everyday in the "daily breeze" news letter. Bring a white outfit for the chocolate buffet white party. Two restaurants require evening attire, other dinners are "resort casual". Breakfast and lunch are much more causal.

OH yeah... Have fun and relax!!!

Edited: 04 January 2014, 23:09
Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

SGR has a nice big catamaran, Red Locks. I suggest the Booze Cruise, Dunns River Falls, Snorkeling. You will see a lot of country side and cliffs, beaches, cook shacks. I've never gone into Kingston, you may stop for a drink and bite of jerk chicken along the way. If not, no fear the jerk chicken on resort is decent, not as spicy as I like but edible anyway. Butler can set you up with a cab/driver at the front gate of the riviera building, town is only 4-5 minute ride west. Some good shopping but dont let them drop you off at the cruise ship dock, stuff is more expensive there than in the resort gift shops. Margaritaville is at the docks though if you want to go there. You may find some shopping near the TajMahal Plaza or walking east along main street. Just be smart and you will be safe. Happy travels!

Great run-down too LIT603! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited: 04 January 2014, 23:18
Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

OH shoot...my bad. I always assume people fly into MBJ and I can't read! Sorry for the airport misinformation! Thanks for the correction Livin. I'll just slink back to another thread....

Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

you may try the arrivals lounge for a little help navigating through immigration and customs and out to the shuttle. A lt of people use the service in Montego Bay also.

http://www.clubmobay.com/club-kingston.php

LOL, CC thats funny

Edited: 04 January 2014, 23:31
New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

CC... We responded at the same time.. No worries...

Club Kingston has a Sale running right now. Not sure if it's a deal :)

Edited: 04 January 2014, 23:53
Medford, New York
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

You've been given some great advice. All I can really add is to relax, take off your watch, and enjoy your trip to paradise! I'm right behind you so save some rum cream and definitely try a Dirty Banana! I arrive on the 21st in the morning :)

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days and counting til SGR... Some questions...

SGR is huge, so you will find plenty of areas to explore. Get a ride to the top of the Manor hill and look at the view. Beautiful!

They will deliver a Daily Breeze to your room, or you can get it in the lobby. It tells you all the activities for the day, and what restaurants are open and the hours. You can look at that to try to plan where you want to be.

You will have a great time! Just relax and enjoy!