We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

Hello! Excited to be planning our 10th anniversary trip and I think we've finally settled on Jamaica. I was all set on Sandals Royal Plantation, but am also considering the Butler Village at Sandals Grand Riviera. I do like the allure of a smaller, more intimate resort while still having the privileges at the large resort next door, but I'm wondering if we could get the same feel for less money by just staying in the Butler village at SGR.

Does anyone have any comparison between the two options? I have seen reviews saying the food is the best at SRP, but we are not huge foodies so not sure how much that really matters to us. I would just hate to pay more for SRP and then still find ourselves trekking over to SGR for beach, pool, and restaurant variety. But would we get better service at SRP? One other consideration would be the location of the rooms - I know SRP are all oceanfront, and the Butler Village looks like a pretty far trek/shuttle from the beach at SGR, I'm thinking we may want to be closer to the beach. Really looking forward just to laying on the beach and raising the flag for food & drinks whenever I desire! Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 02:11
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

I have not stayed at SRP but visited it. SRP and SGR are very, very different. If a small intimate resort is what you're looking for, you should stay at SRP. However, my main drawback for SRP is the main pool is really, really small. There's no swim up bar or anything like that there. We are pool people and spend most of our days in one, so I'd never stay at SRP just for that reason.

And yes, the Butler village at SGR is across the street from the beach. Shuttles run all day long. It is about a 2 minute ride, and the longest you'll wait for a shuttle is about 5 minutes. We love the hillside at SGR because it doesn't have a hotel feel at all. You will be in a villa that you will share with up to 3 other couples, and it is unlikely that you will even see them. It feels like you have your own little place up there, and that is what we really like.

We also love that SGR has so much to do. You don't ever have to eat at the same restaurant or sit at the same bar. We swim in a different pool each day. We get bored easily, and love the variety there.

I love SGR, so don't get me wrong, but if you want a small resort, you will not find that at SGR. SGR is big with lots to do, and more intimate if you stay up at your villa. SRP is very quiet and laid back. It all depends what you're looking for.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 03:37
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

Thanks for the input. I probably should mention we have a pool at home, so we'll most likely spend most if our time at the beach. I'm sure we would visit one of the large pools with swim up bar at least once, but I don't see ourselves spending a lot of time at the pools. Good to know it is not a far trek to the beach from the Butler village at SGR.

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

No comparison between two resorts as far as personalized service and food. SRP is quiet for sure two beach areas are very nice to sit and swim. We stayed hillside a SGR and found the shuttles an absolute pain .

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

We've stayed at both and RP wins for sure! Everything is better quality at RP. SGR had more a party vibe and RP is more relaxing.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

<We stayed hillside a SGR and found the shuttles an absolute pain .>

I agree but I did not like staying at the main section much better. SGR is too large and impersonal for my tastes and my least favorite of the Sandals resorts I have stayed in.

I spent a few hours at SRP and thought it was lovely! Very peaceful and upscale, beach small but pretty. If I were not a beach lover, I might choose it for a long weekend.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

Service and food were outstanding at SRP. Our visits over to SGR made us very happy that we stayed at SRP...I just don't like the size and layout of SGR.

To me, staying at SRP is the best of both worlds. You have an easy beach walk to go next door to SGR if you wish to enjoy the amenities in the daytime, and in the evening our butler accompanied us over there for dinner. You won't have reverse exhange privileges staying at SGR.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

Also if you are looking forward to "laying on the beach and raising the flag for food & drinks whenever I desire" you want SRP. They have beach butlers that will take care of your every desire! I know that Sandals has started beach bar service but I have found that it is hit or miss and frankly easier to get up and get your own drink. Also, you would have to count on your personal butler to bring you food on the beach.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

No question Royal Plantation!

No need to raise a flag, Cleon and Adrian will get you a drink before you have a chance to ask.

Exceptional service and very quiet and romantic.

We always go next door for the loudness and are thankful to come home to the quietness.

There is no comparison for the food. It is like eating at Per Se and then MacDonalds.

Chef Peter Hamil does an excellent job.

So my vote is SRP!

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

I love SRP! On the other hand, the time we spent at SGR felt like Spring Break with major partying and a very young crowd. If I were 25 to 35, I would probably love it. All of the above comments about food and service at SRP are spot on. My vote is for SRP. :-)

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debating between Butler Village at SGR or SRP

Thanks everyone for the input! We are headed into our late 30's, so kinda getting over the party scene, and since this is a special anniversary trip for us, I think SRP will be perfect! I put hold on the room this afternoon for a trip in May!!