We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite thing to bring back

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Your favorite thing to bring back

Hi all Jamaican newbie here, just wondering what types of things people like to buy. So what is your favorite thing to bring back? Heading to SGR in November and trying to get as much info as possible. Thank You

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

Blue Mountain Coffee, jerk spices, Bob Marley t-shirts (ZION Rootswear are the best, others often shrink and fade horribly after one or two washings), wood carvings, etc. The thing I have purchased most often is handmade jewelry.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

I love the hot sauce that Sandals has called Blaze Fire you must buy some. Also, anything alcoholic.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

Rum Cream, spices, jerk sauce, wood carvings, hand painted pictures of Jamaica from locals.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,814 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

3 Dives jerk sauce, assorted seasonings from the supermarket to use when I get home or as gifts. Coffee, blue mountain or even high mountain (cheaper J'can coffee)

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

Authentic West Indian pepper sauce! Yuuuummmm...

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

Favorite things to bring back:

Rum for sure...always buy at the airport before we go to the final gate area ...always packaged nicely for you.

Jewelry - silver with turquoise and others with shells or beads - Couples Swept Away has a particular vendor they allow on property that has always had the nicest customizes and is very fair with prices...Jimmy the bead man.

Red stripe vintage t-shirt or distressed baseball cap for hubby (also nice kiosk and corner shop at the airport just before final gate area)

Nostalgic winter cap or misc. top from the Bobsled Team Shop(at the airport)

Classic Jamaican soccer shirts, soccer balls etc...for our girls...

Wood items: bongo's, vases, bird house made out of a coconut, coasters and wood carving to your taste...

Art - we bought a painting one trip, had a drawing made another, tie dyes, customized t-shirts painted with the tree frogs or gecko's...

Music cd's

Hope this helps - enjoy your stay!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

Most sauces/spices can be found here and in canada but if not near you

dry spices...do not buy anthing at the airport cheaper elsewhere like Mega mart; or a local supermarket

check labels to ensure MADE IN JAMAICA!

authentic Bob marley clothing

Jamaican soccer ball

carvings/art work

dominoes with jamaican flag

corals/shells/sand

fruits and vegs that are cooked are ok but I've been known to smuggle in my suitcase a breadfruit and roast it on my gas stove :)

...anything you find of interest to you! there is much to discover in Jamaica!

ENJOY!

PEACE!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

We can get sangsters rum cream at home but we can't get coconut rum cream. Super yummy!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

besides some of the things mentioned above, I always bring back a Jamaican mug. Over the years, some have broken, some have been given away, but I still have numerous ones to choose from to take to work each day for my cups of tea. When I sit at my desk drinking tea, my mug reminds me why I'm working...so I can get back to Jamaica! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite thing to bring back

-My fridge is full of the colourful Jamaican themed magnets

-I don't leave the airport without buying Tortuga rum cake. It's expensive but worth it. It's much cheaper to buy at the airport. I always bring it back for friends and colleaguges and they LOVE it. Home-made cocounut drops also go down very well if you can get them.

-Many of those mentionied above including hot pepper sauce, seasoning