We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butlers and tipping

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Butlers and tipping

I have booked a butler level room for my upcoming trip and have never done so before. What is customary for tipping a butler and should I tip daily or one big tip at the end of our stay?

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butlers and tipping

Most people tip at the end of the trip so that way you are not having to track down your butler each day and pull out your wallet. This also allows you to tip according to your overall experience. I believe the average recommended amount is $20 per day but that is merely a suggestion and should be adjusted by you personally based on how much you utilize your butler services and the quality of services you received.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butlers and tipping

Thank you, $20 a day is what I had in mind depending, of course, upon the service. I don't anticipate utilizing the butler a great deal but one just never knows what may happen.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butlers and tipping

JamIrie: We put the gratuity into two thank you cards and present each Butler with their thank you card the last time we see each. Keep in mind, depending on when you leave and their work rotation, you may not see both on your last day.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butlers and tipping

Bear in mind that you will have two butlers, so the suggested tip of $20 per day is also per butler. Feel free to adjust accordingly as you feel fits each one. We have usually found that one butler tends to do more than the other, and we adjust according to that. We also bring thank you cards, and write a personal note inside and place his/her tip inside. We also ask each when their last shift will be with us, so that we can plan to give them their thank you card in person.

And in case you have any questions about tipping, butlers and spa staff are the only ones allowed to accept a tip. The rest of the staff participate in a gratuity program based on what you have already paid for your vacation. Staff who are caught accepting tips can/will be fired - they all know this is the consequence for accepting a tip. No matter how discreetly a guest thinks they are, there is always the chance/likelihood that someone will see it happen.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butlers and tipping

Thank you SRCFan and Winnekini, for the information. I did not know there would be two butlers and I love the idea of using thank you cards. Also, great tip about finding out when their last shift will be while I am there. I would feel quite bad to have missed tipping a good butler because of a scheduling issue.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Butlers and tipping

We have had butler rooms about 1/3 of the time (almost 20 stays for almost 250 nights) and tip in cash and gifts. We bring items like cosmetics/toiletry bags, leather computer bags, backpacks, bottles of perfume, packs of batteries, LED flashlights, silk ties, Leatherman tools, etc. and show them to our butlers. If they choose items, we give them their picks in addition to their cash tip - adjusting the dollar amount accordingly.

After many trips to the Caribbean, we've learned certain items are very popular (see above). Even mundane things can be expensive and/or hard to come by. For example, good quality, high test fishing line can be used by fishermen and by the guys that make jewelry, so we've often brought spools of that down to give to staff members and/or vendors. We're scuba divers, and our boat captain was so happy that we gave him some line that he brought us fresh fruit from his yard the next day.

Whenever we give an employee a gift, we always include a thank you note that describes the item and mentions the recipient by name. We also list our name, room number, and date. That way the employee can go through security without a problem. We've also always asked the management's permission to practice our gifting ritual before we commence walking around like Santa Claus. :-)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Butlers and tipping

What a wonderful idea.

8. Re: Butlers and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16