We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

I am wondering what the capacity is like in May for these 2 resorts? I will be booking a butler level room, but I know at SGR we would be on our own at the pool/beach for chairs...need some help on how crowded each could be. I think I read some where on the forums that it is a huge wedding time?

Thanks for any help.

Mel

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

You mean THIS may? 2014? If so, at this point you should be able to tell how full either resort is by getting some quotes for different weeks within the month of may. It will actually show you which room categories are sold out. (I would venture to guess many at this point) Which should give you an idea of capacity.

As for how crowded it will be, there is no true way to predict that. It would be depending on resort occupancy and what time you go to the beach and rather the other guests at your resort are beach people or pool people. Keep in mind, not everyone spend their entire day at the beach every day of the trip. Not everyone is at the beach at the sane time. Sandals Negril is apart of a bigger beach that you can walk/enjoy, but I have also read in reviews the resort beach by itself is not huge and very narrow in some areas so you don't feel like there is a huge place to spread out. However I also hardly ever seen complaints of it feeling "crowded" so I don't think you need to worry. SGR has a smaller beach area thats divided into sections by the dock. But its also a larger resort overall so perhaps gives more options with the different sections for people to enjoy so not everyone is all at the same place? Truthfully I have never been to either one of these resorts myself but even those with personal experience can only give you their experience. They can't truly predict the amount of weddings or crowds you will encounter on your trip.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 14:06
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

Mel

SN & SGR are polar opposite experiences and we base our choice on location on the island, what each resort has to offer and which butler suite we would enjoy most.

We have been staying at SN since the early 80's at which times the resort was at or near full occupancy and we have never felt crowded. We feel the Crystal Lagoon Butler Suites in the Sundowner building at SN are the best of all Sandals Resorts in JA. The beach is fantastic and your butler will set up and reserve your beach loungers right in front of your suite on the Sundowner beach.

We have stayed at SGR before the major renovation and visited after while staying at Sandals Royal Plantation. SGR is such a big property that even with high occupancy levels you may not feel crowded. The beach area at SGR is small compared to Negril so in order to get your perfect spot on the beach you will have to get to the beach early.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

I think the Crystal lagoon section of SN looks so awesome. I really want to get in that pool!

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
128 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

Melissa;

Have been to both resorts and the only thing in common is the name Sandals. SGR is a HUGE resort with a small beach. My wife and I are older and found it too big. Also many activities did not start until later and much past our bedtimes. It is a good resort and we enjoyed our time there, but found it too big.

Negril is much more intimate. The vibe there is very laid back. We were there in early December and the resort was full but we never felt crowded. The beach is narrow but it's 7 miles long! You can walk the whole thing. There are many vendors but a simple "no" is usually enough.

Excellent staff at both. I found the food a little better at Negril. Look at both sites on google earth and you will understand about size difference and why you have a jitney service ar SGR>

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

Melissa: Hubs and I stayed at SN last May. In fact, we are leaving for SN this Wed for two weeks! I can only speak about SN since we have never been to SGR, so I wouldn't want to make comments based upon speculation.

SN never felt crowded to us..and May is the height of wedding season. We stayed in the Crystal Lagoon Swim-up Suites and loved it. Those suites come with butler service...but they are pricey. There are many other options for butler or concierge (butler lite) if you want to be more budget friendly. The resort is extremely laid back...beach and sea are just breathtaking. As someone else mentioned, there are narrow areas but you can walk for 7-miles if you choose to. We never went off resort last year...the infamous 'sand gravity' trapped us!! Seven restaurants, four bars and three pools. Not much night life (if you are looking for that) but the piano bar stays open until 2am plus you can always hire a taxi to take you into Negril if you are searching for more restaurants, bars, etc.

If you are thinking of traveling this May, I think everything is sold out at SN. Many (such as ourselves) book it a year in advance. Good luck!!! And I hope this helped.

6. Re: Sandals Grande OR (or SN) in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations