We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande Riviera in May

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande Riviera in May

Hello,

I'll be at Sandals Grande Riviera at the end of this month and I'm wondering how busy is it this time of year? The weather looks amazing and I can't wait to get there! I know it's a huge resort but I'm just curious if anyone has been there at the end of May. What are the crowds like, will it be a problem getting a beach chair? Any info would be appreciated. I've been to Sandals Whitehouse serveral years ago in February and it was amazing, although I was never early enough in the morning to get a towel on a chair...I"m so excited to get there!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

The chair game at SWH was awful while I was there, too! We are late risers, and always get 2 chairs together, with an umbrella, at any time of day at SGR. We bounce around a lot, too. The Riviera pool chairs fill up the most just because there's less of them there. The beach club and the Manor pool always have plenty. If there's a specific spot you want, you might have to get up early to get it, but if you're not picky, no problem.

We've been there several times when it was 98% full. You can't even tell.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

Awesome thanks for the info! My trip is almost here and I can't wait!!!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

We just got home last week from our first trip to SGR. It was busy, but we are early risers so we never had a problem getting chairs or seating at restaurants or our favorite bar. Not sure how our time schedule affected our luck. We gained an hour from EST so we were awake at 5-5:30 am most days. We were at breakfast when it opened at 7, and poolside by 8 :) even when we went down to the beach during the day we were able to find seats. We walked right up for the watersports activities we wanted.

This resort is so large, it's hard for people to overcrowd a particular area, IMO. If it's not the "vibe" you want- too loud, too quiet, etc.- there are other swimming/activity areas in short walking distance from each other.

I am having depression and withdrawals from this resort, hehe! I hope you love it like we do :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

Did you attend an orientation session? Are they everyday? Is it necessary to go or can we figure everything out on our own? I've looked at the layout and know roughly where things are plus it's fun exploring.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 20:30
New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

For us, I spent a lot of time doing research before our trip. I was unnecessarily familiar with the layout of the resort so we walked around a bit, but I kind of knew where to go. We didn't attend an orientation. They do offer a 10am and 5pm orientation tour every day. Personally I find the layout easy to navigate. Also, the Daily Breeze newsletter tells you where the activities are held, and general locations of restaurants. If anything, you just need to ask how to get to the locations of those activities you want to attend. I don't think you'd be wasting your time if you decided to go. It is a larger resort, and depending where your room is, you may find yourself "traveling" around more or less than others in other room categories. We were in the Manor House and had everything we wanted within steps of our room. When we wanted to go to dinner, the beach or a nighttime show on the Riviera side, we just hopped on the shuttle or walked across the street. Most major events or restaurants are in clusters so you aren't too far from what you need/want at any time. The people who feel the resort is extremely large or spread out are likely those who stay in the butler village, It covers a large part of the hillside property and golf carts are the most efficient way to navigate that section.

Have a great trip... We loved it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

Thanks so much for the info - we will be in the manor house so that's good to know!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

We've never gone to an orientation at Sandals. We've been to SGR several times now, but even the first time we didn't. We'd rather take the time and walk around ourselves than spend the time on a tour. It is a big resort, but it's pretty easy to find everything.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

After being there, it doesn't feel as big as I expected while reading reviews prior to our trip... It is very manageable. I don't feel like we missed out on anything because we didn't take the orientation. The Daily Breeze was helpful to help us decide where to be. Also, we didn't take a watch, so at times we had no idea what time it was, and it really didn't matter. The only time we needed to know was 7 am for breakfast. (We got up early!) and for our excursion which we needed to be somewhere at 8:30 am, and our dinner reservation for Kimonos. Otherwise we did whatever was fun or relaxing regardless of the time :) We certainly could have done more but had the exact vacation we wanted. I wouldn't change a thing :)

9. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:16