We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Hi

Has anyone from the Uk used the Virgin flight and flown PREMIUM? Is it worth the extra?

On the way home did you get prioity check in at MB?

If you flew economy what was it like?

Would appreciate any comments on the virgin flight

Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
288 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

you all must be mad paying that amount just to sit in a chair stop being posh come and sit with the common people its more fun

spain
Level Contributor
784 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Sunscot,

That a great seat... If you cant get the deal to move upto PE and a good price I suggest you stay where your are and spend a few extra dollars on yourself.

sunshinebob

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Sunshinebob..yeah..I agree! Thanks for that website, I am not quite so bothered now as it does seem a pretty good seat. Thanks for all your help!

Tobydog. Its not about "posh" seats, or paying to just "sit in a chair". For many its a safety issue, for people like me, who especially on the return journey, have a ten hour drive after the flight, its about being able to sleep and rest. The journey plays a big part in the overall enjoyment of your holiday, and if travelling back and forth in comfort can be achieved, why on earth shoud someone be crazy if they can afford to spend the extra! Wish I could afford upper every time, I have only managed it a few times and can assure you, it was worth every penny!

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Hi Sunscot - We have flown with Virgin on many occasions - to Barbados. On some flights we have upgraded to PE, but others have used the 2 seats near rear of plane. I don't know if the costs are a lot different for Jamaica to upgrade, but £1000 each seems a lot - did this include the original cost of your economy seat - or was this extra to economy? We usually book our holidays through Virgin Holidays, so when we have upgraded to PE the additional cost was extra. I don't think we ever paid any more than £1000 for the extra cost of upgrading for 2 people.

The PE seats upstairs are slightly wider and more leg room. You are offered a glass of bucks fizz before the plane takes off. The seating area is far smaller than cabin class, so it makes you feel as though you are one of a few, rather than one of many! We did get upgraded once to First Class from PE - that was great. How the other half live...

On PE or economy Virgin flights all have their own backseat TV's - depends upon which aircraft you are on - some more modern planes have 9" TV's instead of 6-7" when you have the facility to watch a selection of about 50 films, can pause the film if you need to get up or have a snooze and can play various computer games to tied you over.

I think it depends upon how busy the flight is also, on our return from Barbados a few weeks ago the plane was only about 1/3 full, so you could stretch out across a row of 4 seats if you wanted to.

Conclusion: If I had the spare cash then I would upgrade for comfort, but if it meant going without another holiday later in the year, then I would travel economy!

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

PMP..Thank you! Again, great information bet you write a great review!

No, the £595 each way is EXTRA to our flight cost,(per person each way!) not inclusive so thats an absolute no. I think what I am going to do is keep my reservation as it is right now and then just before we travel I am going to ring Virgin (once I actually have my flight ticket from Thos Cook) and see what they offer for upgrade. My ideal would be to stick with eco on the way out, and go for upper on the way home. I will wait and see. I have never flown Virgin before but have been told they are better than the average for all seats, so its not too bad. Its the homeward bound journey where I think you really benefit from better seats. You know what its like, holiday is over, time to go home..its nice to do so in comfort if you can.

Thanks so much!

england
Level Contributor
288 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

dont take it wrong sunscot only having a laugh by the way i too have a ten hour drive back

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Hey Tobydog...RESPECT Mon! No prob! :)

UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

Interesting that I stumbled over this as I was wondering about upgrading too as I am flying to MB with Sandals for my parents 60th birthdays. I booked direct through Sandals and they were asking for £695 (yes SIX nine five!) EACH WAY! Non-negotiable.

So that is now a definite no now.

However, what interested me was that people seem to know where they're sitting on the plane. How do you know? I have booked direct through Sandals so maybe I have missed out somewhere along the line. How can I choose/find out which seat I'm in or will it just be allocated when I get there?

Also, whilst we're on the subject, my mum, now 60 has NEVER flown before. She's claustrophobic so it has always scared her but she now feels its time to just try and do it. However as we get nearer to going I'm beginning to worry about her not actually getting on board or having a panic attack or something. Anyone have any advice or remedies?

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

jamesmathews,

There is something you can get from Boots or any health shop, I can't remember it's name but it helps the person relax and you just put a drop of it on the tongue.

It's a natural product maybe someone else knows what it's called?

Otherwise she could try going to sleep or using something else to help her relax.

20. Re: Virgin atlantic flight Gatwick to MB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 20:19