We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Jamaica grande

LONDON
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Jamaica grande

We are booked to go on the 8th Sept but just found out that hotel has been sold to Palace Resorts. They will be closed from 1st sept to end of the year. We have now been placed in Jewel Dunns river. How far is this from the town center? That's why we booked this resort as its in the town center. What's the place like? Is it big? Please help me.....

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

WOW...what an upgrade! It is a way from Mo Bay but hey for that upgrade I would not be complaining.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

Sunset Jamaica Grande is right in the center of Ocho Rios. Jewel Dunn's River is not. It is several miles west of Ocho Rios. However, it is generally regarded as a much nicer resort than Sunset Jamaica Grande.

JDR is a smaller resort than SJG in that it has fewer rooms (730 to 250). But it has about the same footprint, so there is more room. It is adult only. That would be a big plus for me, maybe not so much for you.

If being in the town center is important to you, than I understand your disappointment. But there are not any other comparable resorts that are near the town center. In my opinion, you won the lottery on this relocation.

United States
Level Contributor
12,029 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

"How far is this from the town center?"

It is just under 5 miles from Jewel Dunn's River Falls to downtown Ocho Rios (one way). You need to use a taxi to reach town.

10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

You have definitely been upgraded. My wife and I went to Jewel for our honeymoon. It's a wonderful resort. Smaller but the staff will know you by name by the end of your stay. And ocho rios is not a far drive from the resort

LONDON
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

Thanks everybody,,

You have put my mind torest. My only problem now is getting into the town centre by taxi. I know the situation with the taxis in Jamica as i have travelled in them many times. Just need to know approx how long it will take to get from the hotel into town if anybody knows???

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
246 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

from the Jewel it is around 15 minutes

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

Jewell is about 10 minutes from the town. You can take a local taxi from the main road for $1.00, each way. Please make sure that you are picking taxis with red license plates. They are authorized taxis.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

Congrats you just went from being in one of the worst hotels to one of the best hotels, wicked upgrade!

No taxi will charge you $1 each way I think she meant more like $10, or If you like to walk its only 8km away from the city, by car it should take you 10 minutes

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

Now I will agree with everyone and say YES......you got an upgrade.....for the property.....which is quite nice......You kinda have an interest in walking the streets of Ocho Rios........Jewel Dunn's River is 15 mins by car from Ocho Rios....in a town called Mammee Bay......

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Jamaica grande

I am not wrong. I took at taxi from the main road. It cost a $1 USD pp. Our most recent trip in 2013. It cost $1 pp from the main road.

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations