We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Communication and money ????

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Communication and money ????

Hello! How much cash should I bring to an all inclusive resort? I am at a resort with things included in the price such as Dunn's River and a glass boat ride. I was thinking $200 should be enough but researching online, I am reading I should bring $500. I don't know how comfortable I feel having that much money on me especially in $1 and $5.

Also, what are people using nowadays for communicating back to their home country? Most of the things I see online are close to 10 years old.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

United States
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Communication and money ????

"How much cash should I bring to an all inclusive resort?"

It differs for every person. I normally take $US20 for a week when I stay at an all inclusive in Jamaica. I should note that I normally bring some of the money I take to Jamaica back home.

" I am reading I should bring $500"

It all depends on what you plan to spend money on while in Jamaica. If you plan to purchase several expensive excursions then $US500 can be reasonable. If on the other hand you plan to do nothing but lay on the beach or at the pool you will probably need much less.

You also need to know the tipping policy at the all inclusive you will be staying at. Some, but not all, Jamaican resorts have a strict no tip policy (employees will be fired at some resorts for taking tips). Before you tip ask the resorts policy on the subject.

"what are people using nowadays for communicating back to their home country?"

See the following for the answer

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s605/Jamaica:…

"I don't know how comfortable I feel having that much money on me"

Consider taking some travelers checks. They are very safe.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 20:53
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Communication and money ????

As to tipping: the Sandals resorts, Couples resorts and Hedonism have a strict no tipping policy.

Jewel resorts and Secrets resorts have a policy that tipping is not necessary and it is permitted if the guest so desires.

At Sandals, Couples, Hedonism and Jewel resorts, the staffers (all of them) receive a up-bump on their base salary based on the resort's occupancy. So all staffers get a benefit.

As far as I am aware, the RIUs, Gran Bahia, the Sunset resorts, Palladium lack a tipping policy which, to me, means staffers expect tips.

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Communication and money ????

Thanks for the info! We will be at the Jewel Paradise Cove.

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Communication and money ????

Thanks thevinnie for answering my questions. Now I don't feel bad for taking that amount. I think as far as the communication goes, I will just use Skype. I talked to my phone carrier and it was expensive as I've known.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Communication and money ????

ATMs are easy to use on the island. No need to bring that amount of cash.

Yorkshire
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Communication and money ????

Anyone that's travelled from uk to

Jamaica able to advise me on landing & departure tax please?

Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Communication and money ????

For information on the arrival and departure taxes in Jamaica see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c151864/Jamai…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Communication and money ????

Just use one of the banks ATMS (Scotiabank, NCB, RBC) They will let you take money in $J and some of them in $US and the fee is only $3 . So just bring $100 and takeout more if you plan on spending.

Departure taxes should already be charged on your ticket

Edited: 18 July 2014, 23:00
NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Communication and money ????

Re departure and landing taxes.We have checked with Thomas Cook who we booked with as they didn't bother to tell us and they advised this is all included with our ticket. However not to confident in what they'd have told us so taking extra money just in case. Was only aware of these taxes when I was trawling on sandals website. Also checked with Virgin and they advise the same.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 20:16
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Communication and money ????

The airline will always tell you to bring money because they want you to buy things in the plane...

The only taxes you would have to pay would be duty taxes if your over the limit