We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

Can somebody help me out with these question. I am thinking of booking a holiday to clubhotel riu ocho rios for me and my husbands 25th wedding anniversary.so are looking to stay in the jaccussi suits in adults delux section

We are travelling from the u.k so would like to ask should we change our money into American or Jamaican dollars, and is it better to book the jaccussi suite on our holiday booking , or would it be cheaper to book this room when we arrive at the hotel, by asking for a room upgrade to the jaccussi suite, or if not available,any other adult deluxe suit that is available.

I would be grateful if someone could help with this enquiry ,as all the delux rooms are coming up as very expensive to book in advance as a travel package

United States
Level Contributor
11,245 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

"would like to ask should we change our money into American or Jamaican dollars,"

Two questions. First, which currency do you plan to spend while you are in Jamaica? See the following, including the table at the bottom of the following in the section titled 'Not from US'

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

Second, depending on which currency you plan to spend in Jamaica then see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

In general: 1) do not bring any Scottish Pound notes, 2) do not convert any Sterling to Jamaican dollars in the UK (especially at the High St. banks) and 3) do bring Sterling if you have a need to spend Jamaican dollars and convert Sterling to Jamaican dollars in Jamaica.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

I travelled from UK earlier this year, I took both Jamaican dollars and US dollars. i exchanged in the UK as I was unsure when we would be travelling into Ocho Rios so wanted currency with me when we arrived, although people on here advise you will get a better rate of exchange in Ocho Rios, sterling to Jamaican dollars

If i travel back to Jamaica i would only take US dollars they were acceptable everywhere we went

I booked with Thomson/First choice and stayed in the Deluxe section. The rooms are actually a junior suite with jacuzzi bath in the bathroom.with a sea view.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

Sure US$ are excepted almost everywhere, but we met friends from the US in Jamaica and they paied with US$, we had JMD, they often got a very poor rate.

One time 15,-- US$ = 8,98 GBP or 1000,-- JMD = 5,26 GBP for the same stuff, so if you want to spend money off the ressort get some JMD, you can wait with that until you settled in in Ochi.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

I suspect a better rate can be got in Ocho Rios for Jamaican dollars but the rate i got at exchange in UK was $5 =£3.10 GBP . 500 Jamaican dollar= £3.10 GBP

it worked out cheaper for me to pay for excursions, gifts etc in US dollars.

just an example- a bottle of Red Stripe on Mystic Mountain was $5 US or 550 Jamaican dollars, not a great difference but still cheaper to pay $US .

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

Yes, but Mystic Mountain is for cruisers, like at the airport in Mobay you get the real exchange rate, what I was talking about was a night out on the town, bars and restaurants can set their own exchange rate, some do it fair others don't.

I remember when the US armee was still around, at the bank they got 2,-- DM for 1,-- US$, all the bars gave only between 1,20 - 1,60 DM for the US$, so we asked soldiers why they didn't change their money at the bank to get a better deal, to much trouble and prices are in US$ any way, so Germans did it and belive me it's the same in Jamaica, except those places only foreigners go to like Mystic Mountain.

I mean how many normal Jamaican workers can affort that entrance fee?

Edited: 21 August 2014, 18:35
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

of course i agree with you. but the OP us from the UK i was just trying to explain my own experience.

I went to Nine Mile

Martha Brae

Prospect Plantation

Mystic Mountain

Drinks and meals, taxi fares, gifts

plus shopping in Ochi. They are all tourist places but i was a tourist lol, the exchange rate i got(in the UK) made it cheaper every time to pay in $US.

london
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

thank you all for all the information you have provided for me, and it is well appreciated for all the information that was sent.

To me it sounds like the best thing to do would be to exchange sterling into us dollars in the uk as most of the all inclusive hotel fees and trip fees are payable in us dollars,and once in Jamaica I will change some sterling into Jamaican dollars when I am off the beaten truck outside the tourist section, Have I got that right thevinnie ? and this question is for jeh103 do you think it would be cheaper to pay for a room upgrade once at the resort to a junior jaccussi suite, or when I book through the travel agent for a package holiday beforehand? as this will be our 25th anniversary I want to make it special for us,but don't know the best way to go around for the best deal?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

our son travelled to the Riu Ocho Rios a few weeks after us.I e-mailed the hotel to ask if it was possible to upgrade directly with the hotel, although they replied they did not give a price they just said it depended on availability when they arrived.

Some people we spoke to while on holiday had been upgraded for free, i personally would pay the upgrade price in advance for the rooms and extras it was worth it in my opinion.

i booked our holiday almost a year in advance and i did notice that the price of the deluxe rooms did fluctuate quite a lot at different times with Thomson.

The Deluxe rooms suppled by Thomson are the Junior split level suites if you look them up on the Riu site.

The Deluxe rooms booked with Thomson are sea view, the bathroom has a double sink and Jacuzzi. (my earlier post might have read to some that the bathroom has a sea view, it doesnt lol)

london
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

Jeh103, it would be nice if I got a free upgrade that would be a nice bonus, but I was just wondering if it would be cheaper, to risk it and book the upgrade with the hotel on arrival

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: re money and rooms at the clubhotel riu rooms

thats what i tried to ask the RIU in an e-mail, but they did not answer that specific question.

All they said was it depended on availability.

so when my son booked he chose to pay the upgrade with Thomson to Deluxe rather than risk there being no rooms available on arrival.

this is the e-mail address clubhotel.ochorios@riu.com

this a copy of their reply to me 'In regards to your son booking, I wish to inform you that they can upgrade their room category upon arrival once it is available.Please note however that upgrades are based upon availability and can only be done upon arrival at the reception desk.'

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:48