We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on Port Antonio

London, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Info on Port Antonio

Hi all,

I am looking for as much info as I can get on the Port Antonio area and in particular if anybody knows of Dolphin Bay.

Its all to do with visiting long lost and newly discovered relatives.

Any links to web sites or personal experiences would be great to hear about.

We will have two kids with us, so it might be that we would look to stay All Inc. to give them lots to do and just arrange day trips around this. Whats it like for getting around in this region. It looks as though Ocho Rios would be the biggest sort of base camp area, but any suggestions.

I know that this is a very wide field of questions, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on Port Antonio

Hi Shelet,

You can get a lot of information here from members, but you may get a little more on Port Antonio on the folowing site if you've not discovered it yet.

If you were to stay in Ochi it would mean a couple of hours travel there and a couple back.

How long do you intend staying in JA?

http://jamaicans.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on Port Antonio

Thanks for your help Westmoreland. It doesn't seem to be an easy choice of where to stay though.

If we were to do some visits from a complex, what sort of transport would be available. I must say, it doesn't look that far on the map from Ocho Rios to Port Antonio, but then thats easy to get wrong from my little desk in the UK. What are the roads like then. I have experience of Grenada and Dom Rep roads where driving does not seem adviseable, but it looked like quite a major one in Jamaica.

Could you advise of anywhere closer which might also cater for the kids as a holiday.

Steve

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on Port Antonio

Ocho Rios to Port Antonio is about 2 hours, give or take.

There are no AI resorts in or near Port Antonio, but there are a lot of great places to stay with children including private villas with cook and staff, hotels with restaurant, etc., a combination of those (like Goblin Hill - resort with pool, tennis, etc but each unit - like a condo - comes with cook and staff), or simple cottages/guesthouses.

How old are the kids? PA has a lot to explore by day, waterfalls, rivers, many beaches, mountains.

London, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on Port Antonio

By next summer, the eldest will be 12 and the little one 4. Beach / pool / sea and other kids are their thing while on holiday. Dragging around meeting 80+ year old relatives is not of much interest, especially to the youngest.

It all depends on how the "relative tracking" goes from this end really. Maybe we would just want to go and do a couple of day trips. My wife and I would have no problem staying anywhere really, but it has to be a family holiday.

Or maybe we do the All In but then book seperately for a couple of nights.

Thanks for the responses.

Steve

5. Re: Info on Port Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 20:20