We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

I am planning a trip to Jamaica in July with my family, my husband and two kids. My kids are 5 and 8 years old. Can anyone tell me which resort is better for families? i.e activities, babysitting.

Thanks.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

Between the two, I'm pretty sure Bocobel is your better bet. That said, have you looked into the details about each place and or other options? I ask because , I personally don't suggest either of those resorts for families with young children, main reasons being that both are a LONG drive from the airport and I feel both aren't a good value for the price they charge. Typically children (especially 5-8 yr olds) don't consume much at all, but you still have to pay full price for them, whereas there are other resorts that have "kids stay free" policies or special child rates like $25 per day instead of hundreds. Also neither of them has a great beach. Boscobel does have more to offer for the children though. If you're not set on those two choices only, I would suggest you look into the following options also:

Starfish Trelawny- 35 minutes from airport, nicest beach on the north shore, TONS of family activities, excellent kids club and babysitting, much better value.

Sunset Beach Montego Bay- 15 minutes from airport, decent beach, lots of kid friendly activities, also a better value

Rose Hall Resort- 15 minutes from airport, ok beach, lots of kid friendly activities, beautiful Golf Course (if that's important to you)

Regardless of where you choose to stay, Enjoy Jamaica in every way!

Steve

Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

Thanks for the info. I will look into the other resorts you suggested. I was interested in RIU because we had a great time at the Bahamas property, and Beaches is known as a family resort.

Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

All I can say is that the staff at the RIU is amazing! They are such fun people and are very entertaining. They had a schedule of normal kid's activities, but I barely saw any young kids when I stayed (in October) so I didn't see anyone at the kid's club. I know they have daily soccer and volleyball games, darts, ping pong, and other things to do.

But the people who take care of the kids are truly wonderful people!! I loved the entertainment staff!

If your kids are verry picky eaters, you might have a difficult time. But if they can live off of the hamburger patties (which were reallly good), jerk chicken (also verrrrry good), and pasta(which was mediocre) then they'll be fine. The pizza was not really good at all. But the breakfast was actually very good now that I come to think of it. They have french toast, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and really good smoothies!

I could definitely recommend the RIU. My 16 year old daughter had a great time, and there weren't even any kids around for her to hang out with. So I'm sure in July, there will be plenty for your kids to do!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

We took our 5 and 7 year old boys to the RIU Ochie last Jan. Had a terriffic time. Kids enjoyed the club - staff was fablous. Kids sang and danced on stage each night - this was a real highlight for my usually shy guys. They ate steak, chicken, lots of spagetti, pizza, and were never hungry. I gained 12 lbs. hubby gained 14 in one week. We are thinking about doing it again this year - but they no longer have the kids eat,stay free deal they had last year - so it will probably be just Hubby and I this year. Nobody got sick - unless you count the self inflicted hang overs - Beach was OK, we brought our own snorkelling equip. and played by the reef a couple hundred feet from the shore. I kayaked, wind sailed, etc.

All around a great family vacation !

5. Re: RIU OR vs Beaches Boscobel w/ kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 18:20