We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Favors

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Favors

With our wedding at Moondance less than 3 months away, Kira and I are trying to square away the last of our planning.

One of the things we wanted to do for our guests was put together a "gift bag" of items for use on the trip: Suntan spray, Aloe, Bug spray, bookmarks, insulated coozies...

Well when we checked with Moondance about shipping those items in advance, Linus told me that he wouldn't recommend shipping these items directly to Jamaica.

So it appears that we'll have to pack them.

Do you think it will be a problem that we'll be checking bags with 15 bottles of suntan spray, etc?

Much thanks,

Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Favors

Nope.. You aren't the only one that has to do that stuff.. Sooo many weddings in Jamaica, which means so many Brides with OOT bags. Ask over at

They have a destination bride section..

And I agree with Linus, waaaayyyy too much to get it shipped there, and you never know when it would get there. You can get a few itms while you are in Negril too. Candles, rum cream, coffee and beach bags would be great gifts. And also help the local economy. I love the sweet jamaica candles.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Favors

the soaps and other products from starfish oils are quite nice, made in JA, should be available in lots of shops.

re: all the stuff you're bringing - try to disperse all the goods among all your checked luggage, not all in one bag, limit what you in favor of buying over there, when going through customs - use the "nothing to declare line" - otherwise you'll wind up paying duties on all that suntan lotion and other junk.

depending upon how many gift bags you need - you might make out better simply going to one or more of the shopkeepers in times square and negotiating a deal - you can get all that stuff there and some of the things can have some jamaican flavor to them (like the coozies or the bookmarks, small bottles of rum cream or small bags of jablum)

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Favors

I did a wedding favor kit for a client who was getting married in Mexico and they indicated that as long as all that stuff was checked not carry on she could bring it. However, she was afraid to lose stuff so we nixed the idea and I created for her a seashell favor which we wrapped and the airline allowed it to be a carry on.

Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Favors

CHV167....when we had our wedding in Negril..in 1999...I just packed all the wedding favs...in my suitcase...was almost at the weighing limit...lol... chose tasteful smaller photo albums with the dates times..and a pic of us on the front...I also brought disposable wedding cameras for all guests at the tables...this way all the pics they took would go in their wedding albums...they all thought it was a great idea...Enjoy your wedding and relax ..as the time flys..

One Love

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Favors

I too thought of doing this for our guests because I had read that it was the "thing" to do. When I told a few people our idea, it decided against it for a number of reasons. The first of which is that everyone has different needs when it comes to product. Some use only a 15 sunblock, others 30 and above. Some people love candals, but most of the guys coming wouldn't use them. What if the bugs arean't a problem, or people like to use Deet free, oil free, spray vs lotion. Also, packing and bringing this stuff was going to be a nightmare due to the sheer volume of stuff as we have 24 people coming. Plus, buying a decent bag to put all of it in was at least $25, plus the cost of all the stuff. It would have been over $700 to do this and I didn't want to spend $$ on stuff that wouldn't get used.

That being said, everyone could use aloe, an insulated mug, maybe a welcome newsletter with helpful info like a $ conversion chart, and tours, aganda/list of events, a small photo album for their pics and more local stuff that has a Jamaican flavour, ie jerk spices, rum cream, Blue Mountain coffee. This stuff would be used and probably more appreciated than a bunch of products. Buying it there was a great idea as it does support their economy. This would be a probelm though if you aren't going ahead of time or if you are giving them out as soon as you get there.

This is just my experience. If you have the money to spend and don't care about wasting or if you only have a small group, then go for it. Otherwise I would do something smaller, like a photo album/camera or a really nice luggage tag. You can do this for about $20 a person.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Favors

Oh, I just thought of something. Dave and I bought a coller that collapses at Canadian Tire, our local huge hard ware store in Ontario. They had these insulated lunch pails that had soft exteriors for only $4. That would be a cool gift bag to put it in because they could stock it with red stripe and ice to take to the beach.

killdeer beach
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Favors

Hello chvl67

We were married in Jamaica last year and I would say that if you have fifteen guess coming to your wedding then go ahead and pack the 15 bottles of lotion or spray between hubby and me I am sure we had eight different types of suntan lotions just for ourself,and because we were staying at a Sandals resort and tipping is not allowed we made up gift packs for the staff so I know that I had atleast seven of each item in our suit cases just remember that you are allowed two suitcases each so just divided the gift items among the four suitcases but on the other hand I do agree with some of the other postings that if you are giving these items to your guess it would be cool to give them gift bags with items from Jamaica ours was different as we were buying items for staff that live in Jamaica all year round so we brought items that would not be avaible to them already, No matter what you decide just want to congradulate you on your up coming wedding.

Level Contributor
507 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Favors

You could give everyone a disposable waterproof camerea ,rolling papers, jamaican bracelets,cool prints of jamaica, small bottles of appelton.jamaican small flag ,cd of bob marley or peter tosh all these things can be found in negril and good deals to bad had if you bargain. just bring the cute gift bags with you. also blue mountain coffee. congradulations and have a fab time. wynne

9. Re: Wedding Favors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 06:18