We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bashful Cat Review

maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Bashful Cat Review

For the life of me, I can't understand why in the world anyone would go to Jamaica and whine about not being able to get American food.

I was at Swept Away a year ago and the one thing that stood out was the food. It was absolutely the best food I've ever had at any resort or restaurant, bar none.

And, I've worked for a corporation for the better part of 30 years and have eaten at four star restaurants all over the country and in Puerto Rico.

I would recommend to the reviewer that the person stay home and eat at McDonald's next time.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bashful Cat Review

I was just reading this review and am surprised about her opinion on the food too. I've not been to CSA yet but we're looking forward to the food based on the numerous positive reviews.

I'm not sure she'd be happy anywhere else in Jamaica unless they had American food.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bashful Cat Review

Mmmm...I always thought big AIs like CSA, Sandals, GLN etc. kinda played down the middle with their food...some blandified Jamaican cuisine, Italian, American....I would think someone who is not too adventurous in the eating department would enjoy food at these places?

I went to the buffet at Beaches once and was astonished at how Americanized all the food was! Barely saw anything remotely Jamaican at that particular buffet.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bashful Cat Review

That review cracked me up, too! The best part about traveling is stepping out of your comfort zone and trying all the new things your destination has to offer! I'm going back to CSA in December. We LOVED all the food offered there. Can't wait!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bashful Cat Review

how could you not like mushrooms on your pizza?!

i don't want pizza in JA and i don't plan on ever having pizza in JA.

i'm not travelling hundreds of miles and spending thousands of dollars to eat pizza and burgers on a tropical island. but that's just me. :)

i'll take fresh fish, veggies, calaloo, pumpkin soup, festival, snapper sandwiches, patties, peanut porridge, bammy, ackee, brown stew, jerk, etc. all week long instead....

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bashful Cat Review

My fav here is the same as it is in Jamaican. Curried chicken and rice & peas.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bashful Cat Review

whoops meant to say Jamaica not Jamaican.

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bashful Cat Review

rawlus.. you forgot peppered shrimp :*) Seamuis

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bashful Cat Review

oh yeah! the pepper shrimp and the shrimp stew!

nyc
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bashful Cat Review

What post are you all talking about?

I've always scratched my head as to why would travel someplace and not know the food will be differant than at home.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bashful Cat Review

It sounds like all the poor thing ate on her trip were french fries, onion rings and banana bread and then was sick the whole time, chugging back imodium. I'd be sick too if I ate french fries and banana bread for a week!!!

My favorite meal in Jamaica was the pepper shrimp on the road back from Appleton Estate, yum yum yum!!!!!

Unfortunately that was the only meal we had off the resort. We were at Sandals and although the food was good it certainly wasn't adventurous. To say they shoot for a middle palate is probably a understatement. And yet we encountered more than one guest who were truly out on a limb trying "new" foods like fish or whoa that spicy jerk sauce.