We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help-last minute questions

northern california
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Topic
please help-last minute questions

Hi,

My husband and I and 19 yr old and 12 yr old leave for Negril this weekend. It is our first time to Jamaica. We are staying at Country Country and Coral Seas Beach. We'll be there for 12 days.

Please help us to answer these questions:

How many bottles of bug spray should we bring?

Do my husband and son need long pants if we avoid the fanciest restaurants? Can they get by with just a pair of keens and flip flops?

The only jewelry I own is a diamond ring and diamond earrings. Should I leave these at home?

Our fins are for scuba, which we won't be doing this trip because of our daughter's health. We will bring our mask and snorkels. Should we leave the heavy fins at home?

Our son has been stung by jellyfish in many parts of the world and is very concerned about the jellyfish situation. Will this be an issue for us?

Will we be able to buy touristy t-shirts for under $10 each. We are trying to pack as little as possible. We will be filling our bags with clothes and toys for people in Jamaica.

Do we need rain jackets or windbreakers?

Will the vendors on the beach be selling food and drinks or just touristy things?

Thank you very much, Deb

Oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: please help-last minute questions

How many bottles of bug spray should we bring?

-I'd bring one large bottle per person (12 days is a long time in the tropic sun)

Do my husband and son need long pants if we avoid the fanciest restaurants? Can they get by with just a pair of keens and flip flops?

-Ya who needs long pants in the sun

The only jewelry I own is a diamond ring and diamond earrings. Should I leave these at home?

-Ya leave them at home

Our fins are for scuba, which we won't be doing this trip because of our daughter's health. We will bring our mask and snorkels. Should we leave the heavy fins at home?

-Strong swimmer? If not I'd bring them, last year I left my fins and I did ok but out at the reef the current is kinda strong.

Our son has been stung by jellyfish in many parts of the world and is very concerned about the jellyfish situation. Will this be an issue for us?

-I've never had a problem with them in Jamaica and I snorkel just about every day.

Will we be able to buy touristy t-shirts for under $10 each. We are trying to pack as little as possible. We will be filling our bags with clothes and toys for people in Jamaica.

-Negril is a little more expensive than Montego Bay but you should be able to find most things there.

Do we need rain jackets or windbreakers?

-I usually pack a windbreaker in case it rains or its really windy (sand hurts!)

Will the vendors on the beach be selling food and drinks or just touristy things?

-You name it, they'll sell it.

Have a safe trip!

-Reby

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help-last minute questions

I'd bring 2 lg bottles bug spray with DEET

No need for long pants if you dont go to fancy restaurants, some ppl suggest them to avoid sand fleas at dusk and dawn. We dont bother with rain jackets-a warm rain feels good to us.

I dont wear my good jewelry--I'm too irresponsible!

We are bringing masks and snorkels only, no fins to save room.

Ask around at the beach in the area you are going re jellyfish.

Yes, you can buy t-shirts cheaply. The ones being sold right at the beach often have sun fading or sea air damage.

How wonderful to think of the ppl of Jamaica by bringing items to share with them!

You can sit on your beach chair and have yummy fresh fruit, juices, patties (calzone-like), coconut, ice cream, etc brought right to you.

ENJOY!!! Only 6 more days of torturous waiting for me. :~)

northern california
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: please help-last minute questions

Thank you for your responses. Your answers are very helpful.

Deb

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help-last minute questions

Deb.. I agree with Reby. Leave the eye candy at home. You don't want an accident and you don't want extra attention. Reby's other replies were in line with what I would do. I have yet to use bug spray down there, nothing like the bugs in Upstate NY. Seamuis

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help-last minute questions

"How many bottles of bug spray should we bring?" One. I used 3 bottles for my husband and I (primarily) over a 2 month period.

"Do my husband and son need long pants if we avoid the fanciest restaurants? Can they get by with just a pair of keens and flip flops?" No need for long pants but it may get a little cool at night...my husband wears his jeans every now and again down there.

"The only jewelry I own is a diamond ring and diamond earrings. Should I leave these at home?" Absolutely leave them at home.

"Our son has been stung by jellyfish in many parts of the world and is very concerned about the jellyfish situation. Will this be an issue for us?" Jelly fish are seasonal and I don't think you'll be there during their season, however, they are there. I know people who have been stung...it's not bad, kind of an itchy burn. If someone in your party gets stung, put some white rum (Overproof rum) on a cotton pad or piece of tissue and apply it to the sting.

"Will we be able to buy touristy t-shirts for under $10 each. We are trying to pack as little as possible. We will be filling our bags with clothes and toys for people in Jamaica." Good for you. And yes, Countrywide always has t-shirt specials...they are located in the HiLo (Sunshine) Plaza.

"Do we need rain jackets or windbreakers?" It can be a bit rainy this time of year so it wouldn't hurt.\

"Will the vendors on the beach be selling food and drinks or just touristy things?" The beach vendors sell everything.

UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: please help-last minute questions

leave teh jewellry as it may get sun damaged oil water damaged lost or stolen

leave the fins as you wont be using them bring a couple of bottles of mosq oil but you can buy out there

you can get t-shirts over there cheap if you wanna shop for them

people on beach selling crabs cigs paintings carvings bracelets fish fruit

it is lovely where you are staying you will have a fab time maybe the teenager would like to bring a headphone stereo mp3 player or something for on the beach or if no tv in his room.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help-last minute questions

Hey have a great trip! You will love Country Country - I stayed there two years ago. Since then, they purchased the property next door so they have a larger beach.

Lee is on staff an dhe will assist you with whatever you need - setting up lounge chairs and umbrellas, getting you a fresh coconut to drink from, etc. The cabins/rooms are very charming.

Have a great time!!!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help-last minute questions

the shops at the roundabout and in the mall at hilo grocery sells t-shirts at very low prices - last time we were there they had a 10 for $20 sign or something ridiculous like that.

i've never had to use bug spray down there either... we always bring some.. and leave it behind for the hotel staff to take home.

never had any jellyfish problems either.

we bring our fins - packing all the snorkeling gear in it's own duffle with other hardgoods and just check that bag at the airport. we pack very lightly otherwise so we can afford an extra bag with all the watersports stuff.

windbreaker and one pair of long pants would be a good idea....

no need to dress up for the restaurants.

make sure you get away from the hotel property and explore. walk around - walk the length of the beach end to end and spend a day exploring the west end. eat where you see the taxi drivers eating and get a taste of the local culture outside of the typical tourist experience.

have fun.

minn
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help-last minute questions

if bugs like you bring spray !!!! I am prone to bites and did get stung by jellyfish last trip in feb. not bad though i think the bugs are worse in the cliffs, I had no probs with them on the beach ! leave fins at home and have a great trip !!!

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help-last minute questions

Hi Deb.

1) Bug spray: Assuming you will be there a week, 2 bottles at the most. You won't need much, if any, during the day. They tend to bite at night. So for a week, i brought one bottle for our family, and we did not run out. You can try to judge your needs that based on the amount of time there.

2) My husband brought long pants and never wore them once in the 10 nights we were last there. We have been there many times but based on the casual nature of the 2 places you are staying, long pants would not be required.

3) Jewelry: up to your discretion. If you planning on taking them off for any reason, then don't bring them if you dont have to. Besides the obvious, you never know when a diamond may come lose and end up in the ocean when swimming, or playing. If you must bring valuable diamonds, bring them insured.

4) Personally, i would try to lessen the general hassel of travel by leaving the fins at home considering you will be staying at CSB, CC. Next door to CSB is a jet ski/ water sports shack. You will not have to go far all along the beach to find what you need.

5) Perhaps i have been lucky. Not once have i enountered a jelleyfish when spending all my time in the ocean. I am not a pool person, and genuinely prefer ocean water to pool water. Mobay bears more of a concern when it comes to jellyfish, from what i have read. I would not sweat this one.

6) Yes, everything is up for negotiation and you can def. get tshirts <10usd, no problem

7)The vendors on the beach can & will sell you anything under the sun. Some examples, fruit, patties, lobster (cooked, cracked and with paper plates), drinks, wood carvings, drugs (not that you want that), name it, you will get it on the beach. As i always tell them, if the were sales people in the States, they would be making over 100K /yr, no problem.

Enjoy your trip, plse pass this message to Heather at CSB : Tell her Kelsey & Spencer miss her & thye will be back to see her. She will undertand. Hope this helps!