We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me - I've had a disaster....

scotland
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help me - I've had a disaster....

Well hello, I'm a bit down in the dumps at the moment, am leaving Scotland on Monday for 14 days in Jamaica, had booked the Rosehall in Montego Bay, got a phonecall tonight, my trip has been changed to Beaches Negril!!

The problem is, I have been reading up loads on Montego Bay and now I'm having to go to Negril, can anyone please advise me on Negril? I know nothing about the place! I have a 4yr old son who I'm taking also, is Negril suitable for kids? I had planned to go to the Dunns River Falls, will I still be able to take this trip? Any feedback would be VERY much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Vicki

p.s What can I expect weatherwise next week?

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

keigan, You may thank whomever changed your trip. I went to Mobay, Ochi, Runaway bay for years before I got to Negril. Negril ROCKS!!!!!!!

You can still go to Dunns River Falls from there. It's a long day though.

I would suggest you consider YS Falls or Mayfield Falls as they are closer to Negril.

There is a brand new water park for your kids if they need something else to do in Negril. Most seem happy with a bucket and sand.

Check out Boston Mel's excellent site for Negril.

www.negrilinfo.com

Relax honestly it's FABULOUS!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mayfield Falls
Mayfield Falls
1,078 Reviews
Jamaica
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

p.s. I can understand where you're coming from as it's a last minute unexpected change.

Here is a recent link on Falls options:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k11664…

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

Hi keigan24,

Please stop worrying this holiday may turn out to be a lot better than you dreamed and Negril is a great place.

I don't think that Dunn's is ideal for a four year old anyway so your not losing out if you go to YS or Mayfields falls.

Have a look at the web link above it has all the information you need.

alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

So what is the dealie here?....I have read posts before where people have been forced to make changes. Am I wrong to believe when somthing is booked it has to be honored? Is this a Jamaica thing or have I just been on the Farm to Long?? I know I would be crabby if my plans were changed .....unless for the better. Please enlighten me.

P.S. ...Vicki I wish you the best....I am sure you will Love Jamaica no matter where you stay...Have a blast!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

it happens Brenda. There is no forcing them to honour anything. It's just how it is sometimes.

RDMB is excellent but it happens there ALOT!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

and to add to Westmorelands post....Negril is even better for your 4 year old. Long white sugar sand and shallow crystal clear waters. Not like Montego Bay. It's perfect for your son (and you also).

Mentioned in this post
alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

But from Montego Bay to Negril..??..that is not like changing from the place next door! I loved Negril...which hope makes Vicki feel better....but can't believe they can't accomadate closer to her choice.You say it happens....but how often and what can a person do to ensure it does not happen to me?...hahaha!

Mentioned in this post
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

Not much you can do when it happens. Honestly make the best of it. And yes as Sandra was moved from Montego Bay to Runaway Bay...sjones...it can be moved that far. I was moved from Montego Bay to Negril once. What can you do? Hey it's still Jamaica right? Sometimes it's an opportunity to try something and somewhere different.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

I agree it may be a blessing in disguise for you. I have read wonderful things about Negril. And this does not only happen in Jamaica, I have seen it happen on other islands as well as at resorts in the US. I also agree Dunns Falls may be a little much for a 4 year old. You will love Jamaica i think where ever you stay. Have a safe trip and can't wait to hear all about it when you return.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
scotland
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me - I've had a disaster....

Thank you all so very much for replying to me so quickly, I have taken what you all have said on board and must say I feel a bit better, as said, it's still Jamaica after all!

So now I will go and rest my weary head and dream of Negril!

Many many thanks once again!

God bless you all.

Vicki

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean