We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing at Sandals Negril

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bronxville, NY
Level Contributor
434 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Proposing at Sandals Negril

Hi, I was wondering if people here who have experienced Sandals Negril could give me some ideas how I could propose to my longtime girlfriend. I would love to propose just at the peak time of a sun setting. I'm staying at the Sandals Negril, and I have entertained the thought of beachside dinner with butler service, to Ricks Cafe <not possible, as not so initimate & private>, or sailing out to the private island <but fearful that the ring could get dropped in the ocean>.

My concern with beachside dinner with butler service is the sand fleas that come out at night. I would not like to make my once in a lifetime expreince unfortunate by getting bit by the sand fleas as I have read about them on the message boards and the reactions afterwards were pretty bad. I've also considered having dinner at one of Sandal's reasturant or at Beaches Negril seating area that is very close to the beach. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated, as I will be going there June 9-15. I'm so excited about my upcoming moment. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

Just a thought, but here is how I proposed. We were in Maui last November for vacation (much deserved) and I wanted to do something similar to what you are considering. I knew that watching the sunset would be great. We were on our way to dinner withing walking distance and we were moseying around the beach watching the waves and beautiful sunset. To make a long story short, I stopped two unsuspecting young girls so that they could take a picture of us together with the sunset inthe background. Just when they were about to snap a picture, I proposed, thus getting about 3 good pictures of this moment. It could have been more romantic than it was (being a little more private) but I let that go just to capture the moment in photography. Thanks to the gals on the beach by the way, I see a career in photography!

Matt

Bronxville, NY
Level Contributor
434 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

Wanted to keep this on top so I can continue getting suggestions.

Bronxville, NY
Level Contributor
434 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

I read this in Tripadvisor, and I thought this was a good possibility, instead of having dinner on the beach itself, perhaps could have dinner at the gazebo. Has anyone had any experience having a private dinner at the gazebo?

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

Does she anticate this? Maybe she is hoping that you will propose. It is not where you propose but the HOW you propose. The little things that you do to show that you appreciate....Why not surprise her by not doing it at at dinner. A massage, "christen" the room and ask if there is anything else she'd like. When she she says no, ask " How about marrying me ?" That will surprise her.

Good luck no matter how or where you choose.

Bronxville, NY
Level Contributor
434 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

That was a cool idea, she does know I will propose to her sometime on that vacation. We don't keep secrets from each other but I do want the element of surprise there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

i wouldn't let the sandfleas ruin your vision... just let her know you want to see the sun set on the beach (not really an unusual thing in Negril) and tell her to make sure she doesn't forget the bug spray the ankles... i wouldn't think anything of it if it was my SO reminding me that... i got bit real bad w/o bug spray, but with it I was fine...

maybe you could get the butler to bring out the ring under a silver dish as the last course... that'd be kinda cute :)

Chelle

guelph
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

All ideas sound good. My girlfriend and I were there in Jan. and what I did was as follows: First off she had no idea, we hadn't spoke about the subject. On the way to the Buffet at the resort one night , I casually asked if she would like to go off the resort and find a nice restaurant. (I had done some research before hand and I knew I wanted to take her to X tabi,) So we got a cab to X-tabi (no resevation) we ate right on the edge of a 50 foot cliff where you could hear and see the ocean , after dinner , the restaurant started to get busy so I asked her if she wanted to go down and see the caves(unbelievable , natural caves ,with the ocean flowing in ) We sat on a rock with the big open mouth of the cave behind us and asked her to marry me their. Scenery straight out of a movie, and very private so you don't have to share the moment with strangers.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

Xtabi is a great choice indeed with superb sunset views, and the caves there are fun to see. In case you want to go, they have a shuttle which is fast and easy - just call them from your room and they'll pick you up. (it's nice to tip the driver)

Sunset will be ~5:30 in January, so you could easilly scope out a pretty spot before dinner on the beach at the resort. Many possibilities.... on the beach itself, during a sunset swim in the sea, relaxing in a hammock, etc... etc...

Enjoy and hope she doesn't frequent this board. :)

Bronxville, NY
Level Contributor
434 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

That is an excellent idea!!! I like what I read about Xabi, and definitely want to have a private moment with her.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposing at Sandals Negril

Not sure if you have to be a guest there but the restaurant at The Caves on the West End has a private cave that you can reserve for dinner. The pictures online are incredible - talk about private and romantic. Maybe someone here would know if you have to be staying there to reserve "the cave" for dinner.

www.islandoutpost.com/the_caves/dining/