We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
160 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Hello forum members. My GF and I are planning our first vacation together and have decided Jamaica is the place to go. We are staying in Negril (Riu) and would like to take at least one day-sail while we are there.

The "booze-cruise" does not interest us (too much booze, not enough cruise) and we would like to just be on a small craft with a few other folks. Any suggestions as far as tour operators or how to best accomplish this? We both enjoy snorkeling and just looking to have a relaxing time while seeing some of the coastline.

Thanks!

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Just hire one of the glass bottom boats for the day.. There should be some by the RIU.. Negotiate your price before hand too.. We always take a glass bottom boat out for the day when we go down.. It's more fun than Wild Thing, as they can get closer if not right to the platforms at Ricks, and take you right into Josephs cave and some of the other caves along the coast.. Makes a great day and the fact that they have a canopy is good so you can get out of the sun if you want..

Good Luck!!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Thanks BostonMel. Sounds like you are a "regular". Is Rick's a must see or over rated? I really have no desire to jump off a cliff myself but maybe I need to see someone else do it :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Hey Rickbob, welcome!

You will love Negril, good choice.

As Bostonmel suggested, hire a boat. You can always negotiate the price. There are many to choose from.

The great thing about these excursions is that you can be the only couple in the boat many times, which makes it more of a personal tour. The captains are knowledgeable about the sea, the critters beneath and all surrounding areas.

If you decide to go snorkeling too, as I suggest you do, more than likely the captain and or his helper will both get into the water with you, show you where to look for the old spanish cannon and achor, etc. they will also point out all the fish, etc.

Just tell them what you are looking for and what interests you for that excursion and they'll hook you right up!

They usually carry extrra snorkeling gear, but I always bring my own.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Regarding Rick's, it is definitley a tourist trap, but I think seeing it once is good. if you folks end up going late in the afternoon on your boat ride, they can head over there and you can watch the cliff jumpers fronm the ocean. A fun perspective!

boston
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Go to Ricks if you don't mind paying lots of cash for not a lot. The divers from the tree top are pretty cool.

I say skip it and go to the LTU Pub just a bit up from Rick's.

boton Mel is an expert her site negrilinfo is awesome.

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Like already stated it's touristy but it should be seen at least once.. We always take newbies up there, and we also take them to Pirates Cave via Josephs.. Meaning we go into a cave and climb up a ladder to Pirates cave.. A few of my friends have jumped from there, and from Ricks.. I've seen some pretty purple bruises.. So I'm all set with jumping, lol.. Take a few bucks with you to stop and grab some drinks at different places along the cliffs.. They all take wet $$..

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Thanks folks. I did check out Bostonmel's site and it is very helpful. I haven't gotten much work done today :-)

As for Rick's, we will probably see if our captain can take us just off shore and watch for a while. We had rather avoid the pure tourist traps anyway. Speaking of, I thought I would like to have at least one really nice romantic dinner while in JAM. Would anyone recommend Rock House?

Just wanted to say that the forums here on TA are the best. I have traveled quite a bit over the last few years and always get great advice from my fellow members.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
414 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

I would recommend Rockhouse for a romantic dinner. We had our post wedding dinner there and the food and service were great, as well as a very good wine list. It was very romantic (thought there was 6 of us) and we saw the sunset which was beautiful. make reservations for about 6:45 or 7:00ish. After wards head over to Pirates cave for some drinks.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

Rick's is a tourist trap, but I enjoyed going there very much and did it more than once..just don't eat there..go around the corner to LTU for more authentic and better tasting food!

Pirates cave is really cool too..haven't been to Josephs, but is on my definite itinerary for my upcoming trip! (That and a Saturday night visit to Seastar!)

negril
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to Jamaica, need some advice

okay, go to Rick's just to say you've been there.

If you don't like it go next door to LTU PUB or walk a little more and go to the Sands (that's a nice property - very relaxing and good vibes)

Take a boat for snorkelling and/or go to Xtabi - have a drink there and snorcel from the cliffs.

You will definately enjoy this.

One Love from Negril

Anita and John