We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another 1st timer question

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
149 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
another 1st timer question

Hello forum members. 17 days until my first visit to Jamaica (getting very excited now) and I have an easy question: Do I need to take a voltage converter? My GF will absolutely have to bring some of her beauty paraphenalia (she uses it to great effect by the way) and is concerned that it will not work without a converter.

If one of the many savvy Jamaica regulars can help me out here I would appreciate it very much. Thanks mon...

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another 1st timer question

No need for converter. But if you do decide to bring an alarm clock, bring a battery or old fashioned wind up one. Electric clocks don't seem to keep good time for some reason.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: another 1st timer question

Nope. Don't need one. Same plug and almost identical power (slightly lower) as at home. No worries.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another 1st timer question

Thank you! No excuse for a bad hair day now :-)

Livingston Texas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: another 1st timer question

She won’t need her beauty paraphernalia…. I took all of mine too and never used it once. Not once!

Soon Come ~~ Feb. 14, 08 ~~~ {I am leaving all my beauty paraphernalia in the states.}

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another 1st timer question

My wife always wants to bring hers too.

I tell her that she shouldn't have to worry about doing her hair on vacation. Heck, I don't shave on vacation so she shouldn't worry about drying her hair.

:)

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another 1st timer question

Easton,

you know telling a beautiful woman not to do her hair (even if on vacation) is useless. I would love her even if she was bald but, since she is not, I will just have to let her do her hair. Maybe I will shave once or twice but only for our romantic dinners. Hard to get any good sugar when one is scruffy :-)

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another 1st timer question

First the clocks you plug in don't work down there correctly because the voltage is 110 volts at 50 cycles rather than 60 cycles we use here in the states. Having said that things with heating elements like blow dryers, curling irons and flat irons will not get as hot as fast as they do back home. Lastly, my wife has taken these things down, but the humidity is so high they really do not help much.. most place do have hair dryers already.. you may want to check ahead on that.. given it's your first trip chances are you'll be over packed as it is. Have a great time, Seamuis

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i11771-Negril_I…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: another 1st timer question

Don't need clocks - go wth the flow.

My daughter has been known to do her hair- wash dry and straighten twice a day.....always take the full package with her - didn't use them once last time.....no hair dryer, no starighners , no make up

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: another 1st timer question

Re: Alarm clocks, no worries about ever sleeping in. You can be guaranteed that somewhere near wherever you stay there will be at least one rooster. LOL

Problem is some can't tell the time of day either and often start at 3:00AM.

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: another 1st timer question

lol.... some people just can't take a joke BP. I think the ones that complain about the roosters are the same ones that complain about the tree frogs.. peep peep. Seamuis