We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals vs. Couples Negril

KMihalic
1 post
Save Topic
Sandals vs. Couples Negril

We are going on our honeymoon in January 2008 and can't decide between Sandals and Couples in Negril. We are very interested in the sunsets (can you see them from Sandals?), watersports, and general activities.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

You can see them from Couples Swept Away !!!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

This question is asked all the time....

I've read tons on this subject - not only on this message board, but Fodors, The Knot, Couples, and other message boards.

Many people instantly think of Sandals when they hear the word "All-Inclusive" because their resorts are so heavily marketed. Before my parents went to Couples Negril in May 2004, I had never even heard of Couples. Once we saw all the pics and vids from their trip, I knew where we would spend our 10 day honeymoon. We were NOT disappointed either.

I've been to Jamaica 4x now and our stay at Couples Negril was the best experience I've ever had. Not only was the beach stunning, the resort grounds, staff, food, and drinks were excellent.

I've found that in most online discussions, Couples beats out Sandals in guest reviews time and time again. Many times, Couples is less expensive plus their resorts are more "true" to the spirit of Jamaica. Couples resorts also include more than Sandals (i.e. scuba diving, off sire excursions, etc.)

That being said, I have read many fabulous reviews on the Sandals resorts outside of Jamaica, in particular the Bahamas and St. Lucia.

Grand Lido Negril also gets lots of raves on this board.

Check out my pics:

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html…

Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

I agree with MCHOTSIE.

Sandals does a great marketing job and it could be because they need to, whereas Couples Negril sells itself. We have stayed at Couples twice but have never stayed at Sandals. But we took our kids to Beaches (Sandals brand for families) in Negril and were very disappointed in the run down facilities and a staff who is not very happy or helpful. We walked the beach past Sandals and were not as impressed as we were at Couples.

I can't wait for our next Couples trip.

north carolina
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

The sunsets at Sandals are wonderful. The sunsets into the water at the end of a great day on the beach. A must see before you head off the beach for dinner. Couples Negril is not far from Sandals Negril so I would expect the sunsets at Couple would be equally nice. I have stayed at Sandals Negril many times..that is my vote!!

Have a blessed trip.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

Enjoy the sunsets at Couples Negril - really great. BUT, as I am sitting here itching like crazy my first day back from there...don't forget the bug spray if you go on the beach at dusk or dark!

illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

What days are you going? We will be going January 28 - Feb 5. Not sure where to stay... Couples/Sandals/Riu Negril.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

jdlubo

Sandals and Couples are much different from RIU -

for a honeymoon especially, RIU has kids and families while the others are adults only and for the most part, couples only.

I would narrow it down between the 3-

Couples Swepy Away, Couples Negril and Sandals Negril.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

Or you can step it up a notch and go with the incredible Grand Lido Negril !

KM, the watersports and general activities are more less the same at all the higher-end all-inclusives, however that said there seems to be more inclusions at Couples than at Sandals.

Blessings and respect.

Steve

illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

Thanks for the replys... How is the weather in January/February? Just want to make sure it is hot enough.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals vs. Couples Negril

The weather is typically great that time of year, and warm enough for me!

Enjoy.

Blessings and respect.

Steve