We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Saved" Chairs

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
"Saved" Chairs

I personally have never had to deal with this with the places we have stayed before. However, I figure at some point I may have to deal with this and was wondering about it.

Have you ever removed items from "saved" chairs? I read about chairs being saved and no one showing up for hours and hours. I don't think that is very fair and may feel inclined to remove saving item.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
510 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: "Saved" Chairs

I have expereinced this practice at resorts in FL and at Hedo II.

It is especially bad at Hedo II. I've actually seen folks tip certain people to make sure they have loungers in "their" spot each morning for the duration of their stay, whether they are there or not.

It is fairly irritating, but since we're not "sun loungers", we can just hang out in the pool or sit on the side of the pool, we don't stress about it.

I find it an incrediably rude practice, as if there "space" and comfort are so much more important than anyone elses!

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: "Saved" Chairs

Leaving your stuff to mark your territory can also be hazardous. One time, at PV, I quickly rushed to gather someone’s belongings as it started to pour. I covered the Walkman with a towel and moved the chair under a tree. Sure enough, three hours later the stuff was still there, soaking wet and destroyed.

That’ll teach ya.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: "Saved" Chairs

The chair saving doesn’t bother us. If people are willing to get up at the crack of dawn on their vacation to claim a chair in the shade, they are more ambitious than us. We would rather sleep late after a night of vacation revelry and take whatever chairs are available.

In any case… the beach is one of the few remaining places that you can “stake your claim”. We live in beach city and the same thing happens at beaches around the world. Beach goers arrive early to claim the public parking spots closest to the beach and the choice locations on the sand. Here in San Diego if you get a good public parking spot near the beach you can leave you car there all day, even if you are not in it and it won’t be moved by the SD Police, the same goes for your beach umbrellas, towels and coolers.

Some resorts we have visited even offer the services of a butler to reserve your chairs in the beach location of your choice.

Why should the beach monitors get to determine, how long other vacationers can leave their seat unattended to walk the beach, swim, dine or drink at the bar

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: "Saved" Chairs

Quote:

"Now touching peoples property, that is another thing. You (anyone) does not have the right to touch things that do not belong to you (anyone)."

-

Actually any property left UNACCOMPANIED in a public place somewhere becomes LOST property and EVERYONE has the right to touch it. Unless you were talking in semantics, however I'm pretty sure that's how it is legally.

-

EXCELLENT posts Bill, Halfway, Frosty etc. !

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: "Saved" Chairs

Halfwaytree,

That is not nice, but pretty funny.

South Lyon, Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: "Saved" Chairs

Exactly Steve!

The couple we encountered (we only claimed 1 of their saved chairs) only had a blue resort towel on it to save it, we just moved the towel to the next chair. If It had been a book, I would've just put it on top of the towel. I figure if you are RUDE enough to stake claim to a chair you don't intend on using for a few hours, you deserve to look for the stuff you left unattended! I don't understand people who think they can "claim" any part of the beach other than what they are walking or sitting on!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: "Saved" Chairs

I read thru this whole thread and I don't believe I saw the correct answer to the problem.

The problem is NOT "chair-savers". Yes, they are pathetic little dweezels who need to get a life, and perhaps a prescription for something to slow them down.

But, the problem belongs to the resort that has 200 guests and 50 beach chairs. Would you invite 10 friends to dinner and cook five steaks?

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: "Saved" Chairs

I think this whole thing is comical. Starfish does have ALOT of beach chair saving people and no I am NOT one of them.

However...one morning I get up early and take a walk around the pool. It was probably our 4th day there or something. I notice that for the first time all week one of the cabanas is not already taken and decide to go get our things, tell my family and go back and set up shop. At this point I'm excited since we could all use the occassional break from the sun. So we get our stuff, go back etc. A couple of hours later I'm laying on my nice soft cabana mattress with my son when a local Jamaican lady comes over and just lays right down next to us on our matress. My son looked at me, I looked at him shrugged my shoulders and just put my head back down. I was certainly surprised but thought it was funny at the same time. The rest of the afternoon my family would stop by and look at me, look at her, then give me that "huh" look. I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders each time. There was just no real need for me to get upset about it, maybe she was hot too :)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: "Saved" Chairs

Streamer.....I;m almost sure the chairs didnt belong to the old couple - there are only 3 types of this chair and we had 2 of them whenever possible last time......funny thing was this couple could hardly walk around the resort but when it came to carrying the loungers they were like 18 year old atheletes

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: "Saved" Chairs

Sorry I meant to add that we dont reserve these comfy - napping loungers....I think because they look old and worn nobody else really wantes them , but once you use them they're lovely