We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skim boarding in negril

st.charles
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
skim boarding in negril

We are bringing our 17 year old son to Negril with us this October. He learned how to skim board in Florida last year, and is looking forward to doing it there. We are staying at RTB.

Should he bring his from home, or do they rent them there?

Thanks for the info

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skim boarding in negril

I have never seen anyone skim boarding in Negril. I would suggest that he bring his from home.

Have a great trip!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skim boarding in negril

I have seen a few kids/teens skimming along 7 mile.

Definitely have him bring his own as Easton recommends.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: skim boarding in negril

I don't know exactly what skimboarding is but wouldn't you need waves for it? The water in Negril is pretty calm. If you need waves for skimboarding, it's probably going to be pretty difficult.

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skim boarding in negril

The areas along 7-mile that I am familiar with.. the slope into the water is too steep for skim boarding. There really is not a tide so to speak that creates a long gradual half inch to inch deep water. There may be parts of the beach where this is the case and I am not aware of it.. anyone know? I'd hate for you to lug it down juts to have him nose diving the entire time. Seamuis

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i11771-Negril_I…

sutherlin, va
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: skim boarding in negril

He can try it there if he brings it, I doubt they are rented doen there-never have seen one.There is not much of a strong surf though like what we are used to on the East Coast. There are plenty of other water sports for teenagers to do on 7 Mile Beach including parasailing, jet skiing on a 4 cycle engine which goes very fast,and excellent snorkeling a few minutes out at the coral reefs.Then there is always cliff diving.......

st.charles
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: skim boarding in negril

Thanks to all of you very much. It doesn't sound like it will work very well. He will be fine with everything else there is to do. Just thought I would check. This is our 3rd( me and hubby) time to Jamaica, and 1st to Negril. Can't wait!!!! jwjw

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: skim boarding in negril

Skim boarding is done in a few inches of tide water along the shore.

In California, I grew up watching folks enjoy doing that.

There are areas along 7 mile beach that are conducive to skim boarding, so he will have a great time!

Long Branch, New...
Level Contributor
501 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: skim boarding in negril

Bring the skim board!! You can still have fun even if the waves are small. You can get some swell if there is a storm. I have seen people surfing in Negril after a storm.

If you can, bring an extra skim board to give away, the local kids would love that.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: skim boarding in negril

Had to chuckle when I saw this post. We recently returned from a week-long stay on Cape Cod. We always bring a big inflatable raft (more for me than the kids, lol) as well as boogie boards, etc.

This time our youngest son (9 1/2) wanted to give skimboarding a shot. So, we stopped and picked one up and brought it to the beach with us. Lots of kids skimboarding there. He's very agile and very athletic but learning how to skimboard takes practice. He watched the other kids and gave it his best shot. After a while, he had improved but I think it's safe to say it'll take some time berfore he actually masters it.........

Looks like fun though!

Naomi :-)

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: skim boarding in negril

yamangurl has the correct definition of what skim boarding is.. wave size is not important.. you need large semi flat areas of water 1/2" to 2" or so deep to do this... the areas of beach I am familiar with drop very quickly into the water. The boards are not designed to ride on waves, they are designed to be thrown out in front of you so they hydroplane, then you run and jump on them hopefully continuing to hydroplane while ridding the board. Too steep an incline into deeper water and the board will nose dive right under it and you will do a nose dive. I used to do this at the Jersey Shore along with Boogie Boarding on the bigger waves away from shore... this is done right in along shore. Seamuis