We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

I need to know exactly what I do to get this digicel stuff and or where to rent the phones and how that works,,, I have seen some of the posts here but do not understand the digicell wher you pay and also need to get cards and then pay for them to call from home as well?

I will need to make 4 phone calls in total from Jamaica over 9 days and nights -- what is the absolute most simplest way to do this?

Thank you all for always helping figure stuff out....

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

I'm not sure were you would rent the phone we take our UK mobile as it takes Ja chip. Creditting the phone is easy - I'm sure you will be able to buy the cards at the Riu shop. You just ring the number on the card and give the code number (one of those scrath off things) $500 Ja lasted us 2 weeks , I made 2 calls home and many local calls.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
300 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

You can rent a phone for $25.00 per week from digicel in Negril. They will drop off and pick up at your hotel. Payment is on delivery and they will provide the phone# before you leave for Ja. It comes with 10 minutes and phone cards can be purchased at gift shops. It's around $10.00 for a 25 min card. This is their site.

rentacellnegril@yahoo.com

I used it and had confirmation within 3 hours.

babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

or you could buy your own Digicel for about $30US...you'll get the handset, a SIM card, a,couple of minutes of talk time and maybe some promotional items....I bought a second Digicel just about a month ago and got a $300Ja card and a beach towel with my purchase....

also, the Digicel rates for calls back to the States were much cheaper than calls thru our Cingular....

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

thnak you -- lookslike these last 2 are what I am going to do...seems to be the easiest correct? Yes..... 25more sleeps !

Thanks.....

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

download the negril map at talkofthetownnegril.com - in the coral seas plaza at the roundabout is a digicel dealer at foundation imports. you can buy your phone there.

an UNlocked GSM phone that operates on 900/1800 (a quad-band or "world" phone typically) will also work and you can just pickup a SUIM card at the digicel office. this will only work with unlocked phones however. your branded t-mobile, cingular, at&t phone will not work unless it has been unlocked from those networks.

easiest would be to book airport transfer with one of the popular guides - TOTT and others will give you a digicel phone to use during your stay and you return it on the way back to sangster airport.

second easiest is to purchase a phone at the roundabout or elsewhere for $30 or so and keep it for future return trips to JA.

HTH

-rawlus

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

This past June I used my U.S. T mobile phone and a sim-card

purchased at the second level Digicel store across from the grocery store in tha Negril roundabout....

It costs 28 Dollars including free incoming from the U.S....

Before I left the U.S., I emailed tmobile and asked them to unlock my tri-band(Quad is better)phone, so that i could purchase a Sim Card in Jamiaca....No Problem....They will unlock one phone after your first 30 days of having a tmobile contract...

When we got to the Digivel store in Negril, a new kid was working and said my tmobile would not work in "Ja"..

They have a tester that was used after I insisted that it would...It did...

They fixed me up with a phone and minutes...Before I knew it, I was satnding outside, overlooking the plaza and talking up a storm to the U.S.....

Have a stress free day...

BBB

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

if i take my sprint phone with me can this stuff be done after i get there - i am havin a hard time wrapping my head around this.. i dont understand sim and whatever other card you mention smmokin..

where you been ?

hope you and the wife are well

OneLove4ever

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

looks like i am leaning towards waht dcon59 says up above here....

I am emailing them tonight for info

9. Re: how does the digicel work & where to rent the phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 18:18