We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Hello to all. Any word on the condition of Negril beaches and foliage or web links to info regarding this ? Our hope is for a speedy recovery to the people of Jamaica. Thank you for any info.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Just back from Beaches Negril. I was amazed by the lack of rubbish that was left on the beach after the storm. Mostly leaves and a small bit of sea weed. The trees in the area we were in had no real damage except for a few branches here and there. However, what we were concerned about was about half the beach seemed to be washed away. However, it still could be that tides are a bit high. Otherwise, Beaches Negril and the surrounding properties faired very well.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Half of what was left of the beach had washed away?

That is really sad, if true. That beach was already about half of the size it was just 5 years ago.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Yes, half the beach was gone. I was hoping that it was just the tides still being a bit high. HOwever, I am afraid it is not the case. Where we sat each morning was a good ways from the waters edge(about 30 ft.). The same place was now only about 15 feet away. :(

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Mother nature works in mysterious ways. Something to understand and consider is that the islands have been just as they are for thousands of years, and every year there are major storms that take a little from here, move it to there, some beaches disappear, some get bigger and so on. Always shifting over time. So what may be taken away from one stretch of beach today will eventually return. This has already happened to some extent since Ivan. Maybe not this year, nor next, but one day it will return.

boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

I think the tidal surges were still pretty high up until a yesterday, so the water level should be receding back. From the pics I have seen it looks like the beach is recovering nicely, and not too much erosion has taken place.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Sandals Negril got hit the worst as far as beach goes.. the other thing one has to remember, with storm there are high levels of bacteria in the water and the rip tides were swirling and I saw many fools from the two beaches resorts not heading warnings and going out anyways.. altough the hustlers were back out by yesterday afternoon with the jetskis, most water sports won't resume till after the water surge has decreased.. will post pictures later today I hope..

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

I wonder if that little "beach" Ivan put between Xtabi and 3 Dives is back.....what one spot loses another one often gains :)

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

we walked the beach from sandals all the way to the openair marketplace and sandals beach was really the only one that was really hit hard

Omaha
Level Contributor
71 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

Is there a beach left there? I know it was very small before....

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril beaches/foliage after Dean?

How did beach at bloody bay fair? We are booked at GLR in Nov. Tkanks?