We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why don't people like RIU?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
why don't people like RIU?

Ive seen a few people saw that they dont like RIU resorts...just wandering why..

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: why don't people like RIU?

In a simple answer.....big foreign owned corporation that comes into a pretty impoverished country and lacks regard for environmental issues and lacks good human resource skills with the local people they hire. In other words they pay them pretty crappy, put up a huge building that requires sewage and drainage and has a negative effect on the surrounding environment and is only worried about the all mighty dollar.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
602 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why don't people like RIU?

I think the problem is that although these resorts have the amenities and are good qualitym, they are also very big and impersonal. I've stayed at one before and found that you are just another customer and it's not so friendly and traditional. You could be anywhere in the world and you wouldn't realise it.

Cin OH
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: why don't people like RIU?

For me I will never stay at RIU again because of the price. Last year 06 went to Ochi and stayed at new RIU on a early bird special. The above posts I agree with, like other chains, and my stay was fine at the RIU. JA is the most beautiful, friendly and relaxing country I have been to and JA is the only country I have been to that I will go back to. Small hotel in Negril, next year, was ready to go this year and hubby has medical problem. ONE LOVE.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why don't people like RIU?

UKBlondie's right!! Stopped at the Riu Tropical Bay to pickup people on the way to Sangsters...got off to check it out, thought I was in Cancun....

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why don't people like RIU?

Here is my reply to someone who PM'd me with this question:

So...the Riu's. The history of these ugly mega resorts is frightening to those of us who truly care about the island.

The under pay their staff (as does all resorts). They make $50 usd gross for a 6 day 12 hour shifts work week. That's criminal imo.

They import their food from Florida.

They distroyed one of the most pristine beaches on the island with in filling. Bloody Bay in Negril.

They circumvented the laws of no building higher than the tallest palm tree on the property buy digging up huge palms and transplanting them.

They are SPANISH...not Jamaican.

The resort could be anywhere in the world....nothing Jamaican about them.

They also have killed off the live reefs in Bloody Bay with their sewage disposal.

Not environmentally friendly or sensitive!

So...there's the skinny. Nothing for you to worry about. Please go and enjoy your vaca.

Those of us that are regulars or/and own property on the island will keep up the fight! lol.

Enjoy!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why don't people like RIU?

rather than list negatives about the big resorts for me, i'd rather list the positives of the smaller, often non-AI, boutique or family-owned properties... they remember you every year you return, the staff and everyone... they treat you like family, they share stories of their families, the ask about yours, they remember your name and you theirs.. they care that you have a positive experience of jamaica and work to ensure that your stay is unique and complete - the brand they are selling is jamaica more than a hotel name or resort chain.

the ability to absorb the culture as well as the surroundings is enhanced by staying with a smaller or local operator IMHO.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why don't people like RIU?

I have not been to the Riu (yet). I have friends who did not care for it because of the Spanish feel of the resort. They said something about naked status...they are shy. They have gone back, because it's cheaper than Beaches and comparable to Sunset Beach and Spa, Sunset Jamaica Grande and Starfish (family 4) . These are friends, like myself, who do not go to Jamacia for the tan or culture (we are bless with it) and could not identify a good beach if it fell on top of them. If that happen we would just drown.....the swim issue. If the Riu is what take you to Jamaica then I say...Welcome Mon!

WR

I would love to stand on principle but you know how quickly I fall for a good buffet.

Pauline

San Diego
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why don't people like RIU?

Appsgirl,

There is a veteran clique on this forum that will always have a prejudice versus the Rius in Negril. Which is sad but based on my time on this forum, very alive.

I stayed at Riu Tropical Bay twice with my family in 2005 and will be returning in March '08. We had wonderful vacations; the resort is beautiful (particularly the grounds), the food is great, the staff and entertainment is good and the beach is spectacular.

The quote that I picked up that is most disturbing and unfounded was this, " They (Rius in Negril) have also killed off the live reefs in Bloody bay with their sewage disposal." That is a serious accusation and I am interested in reading the evidence to back up this accusation. A convenient slander that needs to be backed up by factual evidence.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of my response there is a "clique" on this forum that will hate the Rius regardless of how many tourists frequent the Rius on Bloody Bay and how much revenue they pump into the Negril economy. Oh, and how much school supplies we have donated.

Riu Tropical Bay is a wonderful resort with one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. BEWARE of the clique!

San Diego
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why don't people like RIU?

Regarding hotel staff remembering you; between April 2005 and December 2005 there were several employees at Riu Tropical Bay that recognized us immediately and made our return even more special.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why don't people like RIU?

Sly Robbie, Interesting post from someone who does not have the knowlege or experience they "clique' does.

By your donation bashing it is clear to me you do not understand what we are saying or doing. Carry on.

Pauline: I hear you. I have to stand on principle though as there are certain things that are bigger than all of our immediate needs ...like global warming, plastics, ecological nightmares etc. Someone has to care right....so I will be the "piggy" .

For new people...some of us who do the research, have the experience and have seen in the past 30 -40 years the distruction have been called "pigs" by another poster similar to slyrobbie.

I am a proud pig. I do care about the environment. I will not appologize for that. And you may call me a piggy/clique any day of the week. Carry on.