We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

Does anyone know what the distance is between the two? Wanting to go to Rebel Salute 2008, but I really have my heart set on staying in Negril. I see that Clive's offers transportation... but are we talking hours? and hours? Any info is appreciated!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

St Elizabeth Parish is south of Westmoreland Parish, and Negril.

You can see Port Kasier on this map.... past Treasure Beach

map-of-jamaica.co.uk/large-road-map-jamaica.…

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

it's about an 1 hr 30min away

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

Oh, not too bad at all. Thank you both!

uk
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

its a couple of hours not a bad drive average cost was 80 us in a taxi around 110 in a minibus each way

New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

Do you know the dates of Rebel Salure 2008? I went last year--a friend of mine had a cousin who drove us from Negril. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but it was a long drive! The show went all night into the next morning. Then we had to wait a couple of hours for the cars that were parked on the lane in front of us and blocking us in moved. It was quite a show and worth the drive--even though my bag with my camera and some cash in it was stolen. I suggest taking only what can fit in your pockets:) Also there was reddish/orange mud everywhere--I ended up chucking the flipflops that I wore because they were beyond cleaning.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

The drive is about 2 hours but we make stops along the way - we stop for Pepper Shrimp (coming and going) and at Little Ochi for dinner (in Alligator Pond, just about 1/2 hour away from the Port Kaiser venue.

Sorry beachlover that you learned the hard way - it's a huge concert, 40,000+ people so don't bring anything valuable. As far as pockets pick-pockets are RAMPANT at that and other all-night shows in Jamaica. Our "spot" is up on a hill, away from the crowd - if we want to go into the crowd we do so with empty pockets, no purse etc.

I honestly forgot how much we paid for transport - we hire a driver with a nice van, he's been taking my posse there for YEARS - we pay for his dinner and ticket into the show plus some money for the drive. The show starts at about 10:00pm and is over at around 9:00am.

It's a very Jamaican/Rasta experience you won't see many tourist faces there.

More:

…squarespace.com/journal/2007/2/3/rebel-salu…

…squarespace.com/journal/2007/2/2/rebel-salu…

New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

Thanks rastagirl -- yes--I should have known better--I don't know where my common sense was that night:) I did the same thing--paid for gas, food and tickets for my friend and his cousin and they took care of getting me there and watching out for me. It was a huge crowd--and I didn't see any other tourist faces--but I pretty much stayed put pretty far back where it wasn't too crowded. There were huge screens up so I could see the whole show easily without mashing through the crowd. It really was a Jamaican experience, and one that I hope to do again, maybe this year.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

It is January 12th, 2008. No lineup announced yet... trying to find out if anyone had heard anything... and I am thinking if I cannot get there that week the Jazz and Blues Festival is a couple weeks later.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

http://myspace.com/rebelsalute

10. Re: Staying in Negril... But need to go to St. Elizabeth.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:20