We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

We'll be arriving on Christmas Day for our first trip to Jamaica. We don't have (or want) kids. ;) What are some items we could bring as gifts that are relatively inexpensive and easy to transport? Coloring books and crayons, school supplies,? Ideas anyone? We will be staying at the Seastar. Does anyone know of any staff members there that have children? Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

I'm sure many of the staff will have children. Remember not to wrap anything until you get there , if you plan to wrap.

Since so many people bring school supplies and the kids will be out of school when you are there ( us too ) think about bringing other things that they can play with.

Dolls & doll clothes, racecars, trains, puzzles, dress-up jewelry, toys for boys are easy to find, coloring books / markers are always good (crayons can melt ). Nothing that uses batteries, unless you bring some of those too.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

dress up jewelry, lotions, hair ties, bands, barrettes,.. that kind of stuff.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

Candy canes; fun and funky pens and pencils; bright lip gloss; nail polish; sports are huge - if you canm somehow bring deflated soccer balls (easier to pack) they can be re-inflated in jamaica; US sports team logo stuff, like basketball,etc. baseball hats, etc.

Many kids awake on Christmas morning without presents or maybe they get just one. Anything you want to bring from any discount store will be appreciated.

Last year at Christmas, my friend and I were at Alfred's awaiting our dinner. There were a few local kids hanging around because it was early, and they noticed that my friend had removed dead AA batteries from her camera and were sitting on t he table.

For the next two hours, these kids had us in stitches pretending that those batteries were dominos (which is a huge past time in Jamaica) When the local men play dominos, they invariably end up loudly slamming the game pieces on the table and hollering at eachother! And so, these kids were doing that too. One of them was a feisty little girl who was wearing my bright red lip gloss, her hand on her hip while she pretended to model down a runway, then she'd come back to the game of "dominos" and fussed at the boys like a scolding mother! It was just hilarious.

The point here is that Jamaicans are very resourceful; anything will be welcomed.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

Books!!!!! We gave out books to our housekeeper, the massage lady, to the night guard at the hotel, and to a little girl we met on the beach, she just plopped down in the sand and started reading. Other ideas: small puzzles, jump ropes, beach toys, kites, kids card games, travel games which are compact, and school and craft supplies. Many of these can be found at dollar stores or discount stores for very little money. Spread the gifts out in your suitcases, dont keep them all together. A non-intrusive way to ask the parents if they would like these is something like, "Do you know of any kids who would enjoy some books/toys/etc." Everyone either has kids or grandkids or nieces or nephews. How nice of you to bring things!

Yamangurl, i can picture those kids, especially the bright-lipped little girl :~)

5. Re: Bringing Christmas Gifts for Local Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 16:17