We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD USA
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

I have read several posts referencing bedbugs at this resort. It has me very concerned since I am booked to stay there a week in Feb 2008. I am booked in the older section Beachfront Suite. Bedbugs are very serious and if you take them home with you, you will have them 4ever! Are these really bedbugs or are you calling them bedbugs. At any rate, I don't wish to spend my vacation with them. Ido realize it is a tropical island and there will be bugs, but bedbugs?? I don't want to have to move from my house when I get home because of them. We had a news story broadcast in Baltimore, MD about getting bedbugs from travel and all of the trouble people went through to eliminate them from their home. Any comments? Are these in fact really bedbugs?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

I have stayed 4 times at CSA in the last 2 years, as recently as 2 months ago. Never encounted any nor anyone bit by them.

Have encounter many people bit by sand fleas or mosquitoes.

This is not a problem you need to worry about.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

We have been there and are going back soon. The worst we had was leaving out doors open one night and gettin ga LOT of mosquitoes in the room, which we had sprayed and it was fine.

I don't know how a hotel guest can identify a bed bug and if they do, they should be taking them to the management. I know I would....and who would sleep in the bed any consecutive nights if you KNEW those filthy bugs were in there.

Its much more common and likely that they are getting bit by sand fleas or mosquitoes and the bites show up in the morning.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

Also, if my bed had been infested and I was all bit up, I can guarantee you I would provide pictures to document my story.

Please read ALL the reviews. I saw 1, count em, 1 review about bed bugs. Don't you think if this was a problem there would be more than 1 reviewer saying so?

I agree with P2-problem bit up by sand fleas and mosquitos.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

YIKES!!! That's a pretty serious issue, I've seen reports on the news here to and you're right, they're to be avoided at all costs. That being said, we were in one of the Jacuzzi suites in March and never had a problem while we were there or after we came home.

Lee Issa, the owner, spends a lot of time on sight at CSA and I can't imagine that his team is not on top of this issue in terms of prevention at all costs. This is the first time I've ever heard this allegation about CSA. Everyone seemed to be having a great time when we were there. My best girl has been to this resort at least 8 or 9 times in the last few years and she's a real stickler and I've never heard her complain about any kind of bugs at this resort. I don't know if I ever saw a mosquito even??? If you read the reviews for CSA you'll find a lot of repeaters, doubt they'd be back it they'd encountered these little creatures.

You have every right to be concerned but relax; I think you're in for a great holiday at CSA. Delicious food, be sure to make a reservation for dinner at Feathers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

Like Jamaicaluvr said I have seen one post that said that,

andone that thought they were bed bugs, but not " several"

Where are you reading these posts?

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

Over the ten years my husband and I have stayed in a beachfront suite at Swept Away we have never, ever seen a bedbug. Little tiny lizzards yes..bedbugs no! :)

Level Contributor
641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

Couples Sweptaway does not have "bed bugs", Please advise where you are seeing this comment? I then can comment.

I am

Gary Stephens

Vice President of Operations

Couples Resorts

South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

Hi Gary,

Here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147313-d147…

Guy has only posted once on TA, never used the forums etc.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

A lot of people misidentify sand flea bites as bed bug bites. I am sure this is the case.

I HIGHLY doubt the CSA has (or has ever had )bed bugs.

ALL resorts on beaches deal with sand fleas, though.

Mount Prospect...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is up with Bed Bugs at Couples Swept Away?

I was at CSA two weeks ago. I didn't find any bugs in our room, "bed bugs" or otherwise. Like others have mentioned, there are sand fleas - by the beach. I got a few ankle bites on my last day.