We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockhouse Hotel - property map

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rockhouse Hotel - property map

the question comes up quite frequently on TA - which is the best villa, where is #xx villa located, which villa has a view of the sunset, etc.

my last trip to RH this past november i took some time to sketch the property and make an attempt at a property map - this is not to scale but should give you a good general idea as to the orientation of each room, it's general proximity to others and where it resides on the property...

you should note that #1 and 2 face westerly, away from sunset - but have a nice sunrise view, view of pirate's cave, etc. for sun on these you would use the extensive terrace of stone patios in front of 4, 5 and 6 to get your sunshine fill and to gain direct access to the ocean.

likewise, 8, 9 and 11's and to some degree 7's orientation is not eastward towards sunset. again, the extensive patios avail themselves for that purpose.

(each thatched villa has indicated a small self-contained patio/deck of it's own - i have tried to indicate the directional orientation of these on the map, but not necessarily the scale - some are large enough for several chairs including beach recliners - others are smaller for adirondak style chairs.)

#11 is closest to the restaurant and kitchen and of the set, would probably be the most noisy - which might be compounded by it's being located at the top of a cave/gorge where the waves tend to crash and are amplified by the opening into the rocks.

#10 is sort of the "honeymoon" villa and is the one pictured in the postcards and on the website - although it is stone now not wood. the bridge aside #10 is a popular jumping spot so that may interfere with some privacy for the very shy people - there is no visual barrier between the bridge and the sunning area/patio of #10.

of the standard villas - they are all quite lovely however my choice would avoid #20 as it is right behind the bar building and set back from the water in a shady grove of tropical plantings and #19 which is a high traffic area being off the main access to the pool.

of the studios - the garden studios near the boutique all face south towards the pool area and ocean although they are some distance away through lush and winding walkways of tropical landscaping.

the ocean studios behind the pool & bar are oriented parallel to the ocean, meaning the bottom studio 24 and the top studio 28 are both at the pool end of the building - with outdoor showers on the east end of the building (the right side when looking at the map)

#28 actually has quite a nice view over the bar and the open patio area to the east of the bar....

breezes on the pool end of the property are typically much stronger than on the premium villa end - partly due to the rocky outcropping of the pool area versus the relative cove nature of the west end of the property.

i've tried to indicate all of the sea ladders to access the sea directly. i believe i've got them all but i would not be surprised if i missed one either. :) in front of both standard and premium villas there are ample small sitting areas, patios, walkways cut into the rough rocks of the rockhouse coastline and umbrella and chairs for reading abook or enjoying just watching the ocean - i have done my best to indicate these on the map however the forms are very organic and difficult to map when you're standing upon them! so, use that cliffline/shorline as a guide only - an approximation. :)

lastly - in nov 2007 they had added tables and chairs for dinner beneath the cantilevered deck of the restaurant - a sort of private dining area closer to the water's surface.. not being high season i had not seen it used in 2 weeks. they also added a small table for 2 or 4 to an elevated patio cut into the cliffs across the cove from the restaurant deck and i have indicated that as "restaurant table" on the map. this is a really nice spot when lit with candlelight and extremely private and romantic - a very good alternative should the thatched dining hut out on the point be booked already or out of service.

i have many pictures to eventually catalog and upload, but hopefully this map gets things going by way of answering alot of questions pertaining to the property layout itself.

enjoy.

http://home.comcast.net/~rawlus/rockhouse2.png

rawlus

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

rawlus.. great! Please note you have the Standard Rooms labeled as Studio rooms.

All RH fans and future visitors... We have been trying to have a romantic dinner in the old massage hut in front of the restaurant for two seasons now, we just returned and I will not say what happened, but I will tell you RH Management is really uncertain whether offering this is something they will do in the future. The logistics of taking care of a couple in the Massage Point hut are nothing to sneeze at and require a good amount of resources; resources that could be taking better care of two-four tables and not one. So officially strait from RH; there is nothing official and if you do ask for it and they accommodate you, there may be a fee to offset the staffing requirements.

The other very romantic table rawlus mentioned, they refer to as the "Rock" Table and does have I believe a minimum charge per table.

While I am talking about the restaurant, I found the service and food better this trip then any previous; so they are constantly fine tuning their craft of making guests happy.

I might add that Studio 28 is on the second floor and it's porh wraps around the corner of the building which may or may not be to your liking. Villa #20 I believe they charge the Studio rate for given it's location and lack of privacy.

Big Ups to RockHouse and to rawlus for answering the call for a RH map. I am still a big fan of RH and hope to return soon... Would anyone like to give up a reservation? Seamuis

Mentioned in this post
Rockhouse Hotel
Rockhouse Hotel
1,148 Reviews
Jamaica
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

my bad on the mislabeling - thx for catching that seamuis - i'll correct it tomorrow. :)

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

Respect... every time.. all the time! Seamuis

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

Seamuis-It was nice meeting you and Tailwag at SeaStar last Saturday. I'm glad we had a chance to catch up, never did have a chance to talk upstate NY, though, lol! I guess that's not really a hot topic when sitting in the tropics eating jerk chicken though, huh?

So sorry I didn't get a chance to hook up with you guys again - my life here is very spontaneous and unpredictable which is exactly the way I like it as my life in the states is just the opposite - very little spontanaiety and way too predictable at times.

Mentioned in this post
Seastar Inn
Seastar Inn
382 Reviews
Jamaica
Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

rastagirl.. I PM'd you as I do not want to HiJack this thread. Seamuis

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

Oops, I guess that's what I did! So sorry!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

no worries.

:)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

http://rawlusjamaica.shutterfly.com

to albums within - one is all rockhouse hotel shots - various accomodations, the property itself, views, etc.

the other album is a collection of tours and excursions photos - school visits, 9 mile, little bay, treasure beach, pelican bar, black river, rocklands bird sactuary, bamboo rafting, ys falls, appleton estate, etc.

enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Rockhouse Hotel
Rockhouse Hotel
1,148 Reviews
Jamaica
illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

the map is great!!

but i cant get the entire thing to print???

i wish i could because i am getting married at the rh next year and it would be great to have

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rockhouse Hotel - property map

rawlus...you rock! I've saved in in my profile files! Thanks C