We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catcha

atlanta
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Catcha

I just booked a trip for June to CFS and am a little concerned that the last 3 reviews here were not that great. Has anyone been recently that can either confirm or deny. We are booked for Libra. Thanks!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catcha

i think a few of those neg reviews were due to the time of year - august and sept if i read right - negril can be very slow that time of year, the cliffs especially... one of the reviews mentioned excitement at checking out the Ritz Carlton in MoBay in the future - CFS is not the ritz. it is a very jamaican experience - if you are looking for something more mainstream, then an AI is often going to be more to your liking.

everyone i've met at CFS (we stopped by for a visit in late nov) was warm and welcoming - however, again it should be understood that jamaica is different than the US - everything is on jamaica time, relaxed, carefree and unhurried. people often misinterpret this as slow, lazy and uncaring. which is a mistake on their part.

i think you'll have a wonderful time - even moreso if and when you can get into the island vibe and just go with the flow. :)

have fun!

Splendora, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catcha

We stayed at CFS in late may of this year and loved it... but we had very realistic expectations. When you travel to Jamaica or any other tropical location and book a room with no AC, you really lose the right to complain about the heat. It's just common sense.

The Sagi cottage could get pretty warm in the daytime and the nights weren't too bad when the breeze was blowing. We had a really bad storm one night and had to close the windows; it turned into a sauna within minutes. Again, you've got to be realistic. The resort doesn't control the weather and they shouldn't be blamed if you knew they didn't have AC.

Ivan's bar wasn't serving food when we were there but the service was PERFECT for me. They were low-key but very willing to accommodate. The were not asking me if I needed something every 5 minutes but when I did something, it was prompt and friendly. We had to seek out a staff member a few times, but that's the way I like it. We didn't expect, want or pay for pampering service.

People have a tendency to just read the glowing reviews but forget where they are going. My parents were fascinated by the pictures I showed them of CFS and the stories I told... they were ready to book a trip until I reminded them that Jamaica just isn't the place for them. They're used to true 5 star service, no 'visible' poverty, no loose dogs, no litter on the road...

Be realistic, and have a great time. You won't be disappointed.

Boston
Level Contributor
333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catcha

Mattman02,

Stopped by for dinner at Catcha two weeks ago. Had dinner with Sue the Manager and met Harry the Owner later on in the week.

Wonderful resort. Great Staff. Excellent food and Ivan's Bar is awesome! I usually stay at Seastar Inn, but Catcha is a beautiful property.

Yes it can be quiet on the West End in June, but that is okay. Just grab a Route Taxi to the Beach if you need a little bit more excitement! Check with the Staff to determine which location is having live entertainment on a particular night. Definitely recommend Mi Yard on Tuesday nights for the live web cast with DJ 22Pak and Seastar Inn on Saturday night (directly across the road from Catcha down Seastar Lane) on Saturday nights. US$12 per person for all you can eat buffet, live music and they will pick you up and drop you off included. But Seastar is definitely within walking distance.

Enjoy, you can't go wrong with Catcha.

VVHT

Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Catcha

My wife and I will be at Catcha at the end of January.

People keep talking about the new pool but they do not post any pictures of its construction.

Does anyone have any photos of its location and its progress?

We understand the Jamaican construction time schedule..."come soon mon"... but we would like to know if its almost finished.

Any pictures, or info would be appreciated.

Mr Cheeks

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catcha

Sandy cheeks...look under my profile. I have pics of Catcha (I think even the pool) that I took in Nov (yes this nov). Jan finished? Maybe....

The holes are dug and most of the plumbing is done. None of the concrete has been started or the webbing installed . I believe it's a gunite/concrete pool. They aren't big at all but will cool you off if you cannot get in the ocean. Enjoy

6. Re: Catcha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 11:20