We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

Okay, so I'm working on planning the perfect budget holiday and have been looking at all kinds of package deals for weeks. But right now, Air Jamaica's got a good sale and whenever I do the numbers, it comes out cheaper to book air and hotel separately.

Would it be really foolish to book the flight now, then wait a few weeks for last minute hotel deals? We want to go in early February. I'm looking at the 5 Apple Square Deal right now with the understanding that we'll most likely end up at Riu Negril. Not quite the romantic, quiet place I first had in mind but for the price, I can live with that!

Also, what's the best way to get trip insurance if I book air and hotel separately?

Thanks!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

Not crazy at all. I did it that way last Feb. and this coming Feb. My airfare has doubled since I booked it so I'm glad I got it for the price I did. Check out negrilonestop.com for lots of budget places. They are GREAT to deal with and will work with you on your airfare if you want them to. Not sure how long you want to wait on booking a hotel though with Feb. being high season. Not sure about the trip insurance question as I have only gotten it through Apple and haven't booked w/them for over 3 years now.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

Apple square deals INCLUDE airfare and transfers.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

You can book also book the Square Deal without the airfare and right now, it comes out cheaper to book the air on our own.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Trying to convince my husband that we really can do this for under 2,000 (including paying for the babysitter) for 5 days, so I've gotta be creative!

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

I don't know which airline you booked through but we always book Delta and get trip insurance including hotel through Access America from the Delta web site. It's very reasonable and inclusive.

Factoryville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

hey coffeemom when you going?? i have been booking every nov. and may for the last 6 times in 3 years and always do it seperately. buy airfare first then work out the deals later. just got back first of dec. and then watch for may specials on air. book when i get a good deal directly thru aj or go thru amex. 5 times at whistling bird and this past time at rondel and it was awesome:) booking again for may with hubby and 2 friends who want to go....life is good mon

gabby

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

I have always booked hotels and airfare separately. The first three times I did airfare alone through worryfree as they had the best price, but this last time I was able to catch a reasonable price leaving closer to home with only one connection so it wasn't too bad. I have booked both by myself and one time with Negril Onestop, and have managed to get some nice hotels for a decent price. I have stayed at Thrills, Seastar, Coral Seas Garden, Coral Seas Cliffs (now Sunset on the Cliffs), and Right Vibes. I enjoyed staying at all of them for different reasons, but have to say that I felt the most 'home' at Right Vibes. :)

nj
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

I have twice booked as you are with no problems. I have never bought trip insurance for any of my 20 or 30 trips in the last ten years. Even in a worst case scenario disaster, I figure I would be way ahead. From what I have heard collecting on trip insurance can be a battle. You might want to check skyauction land only deals. Good luck.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

Thanks everyone. I still haven't booked that flight. Waiting for the estimate on how much we have to spend on fixing the roof before we can decide to do this. I'm sick of being a grownup! I'll have to see if that airfare deal is still hanging around by the time we decide (or to be more accurate, by the time I convince my husband.)

I feel like good trip cancellation insurance is a must for us because we have three little kids we'll have to leave with a babysitter so if ANYONE is really sick (and that includes the babysitter) we'd have to call it off. So once we actually book this, I'll need to find a policy with liberal trip cancellation.

But for now, I'm still dreaming of the sun. Anyone have advice on convincing one's spouse that that a few days in Jamaica is more important than fixing the roof?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

we booked our flight first then booked the hotel a few weeks later am glad i booked our flight when we did we payed £300 our flight is now nearly £700

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book flight first, then look for hotel deals. Is this crazy?

Just tell your significant other that you want a second honeymoon, and will be extra 'romantic' if ya'll go soon, lol! ;-)

But I do feel you about how much being an adult is no fun. I am in debt some and have to pay it off before I can even begin to save for my next trip, and I wanted to take my son with me for his spring break in March, but I doubt if I will have enough to go then. One thing I am definitely doing after the 1st tho is putting in for his passport, so at least he will be sure to have it before we go. Right now it's looking at April or May for me, and might not be able to do that tho because I am definitely going to be in Negril for the entire month of July. Since it is so long a stay that might just be it for me for '08, but at least after staying a month I will have a better idea on if I can afford to live in Negril on my pension.