We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the beach at night....

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Walking the beach at night....

I was in Negril last April and walked the beach almost every night in groups of 2 or 3. I recently read some posts by experienced Negril travelers saying that it is no longer as safe as it used to be. Can anybody elaborate? We are going back in April again and I just want to know whats up.

thanks

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the beach at night....

To answer your question, in recent years and with the gradual increase in tourism there has been an increasing number of 'opportunists' coming to Negril from other areas of the island. With that comes the increase in being approached for whatever their reasons while walking the beach at night. They will come from seamingly nowhere. Incidents are on the rise. Many of these guys are harmless. Quite often the traditional 'no thanks' does not work depending on the circumstances. You may be quite safe on one particular night but possibly not in varying degrees the next night. A lot has to do with timing, what they want to offer and/or take from you, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My best advice is safety in numbers if walking the beach at night. If you are alone, or just walking as a couple, take the road from point A to B.

Trust me on this when I say things have changed and definitely not what they were like years ago.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the beach at night....

YOu should be fine in groups. Try not to get too drunk/stoned and keep your awareness activated. Enjoy!

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the beach at night....

We stay at Rondel - usually walk down to Cosmos for dinner and then walk back. When we walk to dinner it is fairly early (just after sunset) and walking back is a little later. I hate to take a cab - like walking off dinner, but maybe we should catch a cab after dinner. I think last year we were going to, but it was such a beautiful evening we walked back. We will be there in two weeks - can't wait to get out of the Michigan winter for a week and soak up some warm sunshine.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking the beach at night....

We were in Negril in early December. We walked the beach almost every night. We never felt unsafe. AS ALWAYS...use common sense! Be aware of your surrondings, don't go alone, etc. etc.

On several nights, we walked quite a ways on the beach only to pass one or two other couples the entire time, which we thought was strange. I know it wasn't a very busy week in Negril, but I was still surprised that not many people were out in the evening.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking the beach at night....

And a few days after you left two women staying at Rondel were robbed at gunpoint on the beach while walking at night in front of Fun Holiday.

'nuff said.

baltimore
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking the beach at night....

Walking at night any where can be unsafe.....I would walk in a group if I had to walk the beach at night...times have changed every where...one must always have there guard up...especially in a strange place...when you walk the beach during the day...one is approach at least 10 times before you get to your destination...so you know at night there is a strong chance that you will be approached...just be careful.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking the beach at night....

BP...this is why I keep saying, Negril is changing & not for the better :(

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking the beach at night....

robbing someone at gunpoint on a beach at night has got to be one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. talk about low return on investment.

i don't particularly know alot of people who are flush with cash on their person on the beach. i might have all of $10 on me.

criminals really are stupid.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking the beach at night....

Not necessarily, beside cash...there's always jewelry, cell phones, etc...

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking the beach at night....

Just wondering what time of night this means. Is it anytime after sunset or later in the evening. My husband and I have walked the beach after dinner in the past, but usually don't walk real late at night (after 10:00 or so anyway). It is one of the thing we have always liked about Negril - the ability to take a walk after dinner.