We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum Questions???

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rum Questions???

Going to be staying in Negril. My wife and I love rum.

Anyone suggest a certain brand of Rum in Jamaica? Or a place to buy it around Negril?

Also, how many bottles per person are you allowed to take home with you.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum Questions???

Appleton is THE brand of Jamaica rum. They have several varieties and I would suggest you try as many as you can!

Enjoy!

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum Questions???

Thanks, will do. Have you ever toured where Appleton is made?

Maine
Level Contributor
413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum Questions???

Hi,

We have done the Appleton Rum tour. If I remember right, it took close to 2 hours to get there from Grand Lido, Negril. It is an interesting place, but you do not get to tour the actual "factory" You get a tour of how they used to make rum and a video of how they make it now. At the end of the tour, you get to try all the different kinds of Rum they make. YUM! you will be glad you are not driving by the time you get done.

Enjoy,

D

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum Questions???

I concur. Appleton is the best, althougth there is 101 proof brand (Wray & Nephew?) that is killer. A lot of resorts use that one in Rum Punch along with the normal rum.

The regular Appleton is great, but the aged one is even better.

On the way out get it at the airport as the price is better than I've found in town.

Also remember, when you are buying in town everything is negotiable.

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum Questions???

Oh, and you and your wife can bring back 3 750 ml bottles of booze duty free although I have brought back as many as 6 with no problems. You can only take them on the plane on a direct flight though, if you have a connecting flight you must pack them.

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum Questions???

ahhhh, not just Appleton, you want the Appleton "Estates" It is their finest Premier rum

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
577 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum Questions???

We've brought back as many as 16 bottles of rum, declared them at customs and nobody said nothin. Didn't even blink. We also had 17 pounds of coffee, all they said was "you guys sure do like coffee" .

If you get a chance to go to a bar in town or anywhere's around, ask for some "John crow batty"

every bar has some, it's very very strong.

Respect Mon

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum Questions???

Appleton Estates mmmmGOOD stuff,they have it in a store at the roundabout in the plaza dont remember the name.

Top of the WORLD
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum Questions???

Coco Mania is the best coconut rum to me. I thought the rule did not have anything to do with rum. I alwasy bring back more then I know I am suppose to but I never had a problem. I save space in the suitcase and pack it all in. Now that we are moving in soon, I have to stock up the new bar at home. I am so excited and can not wait! Enjoy!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum Questions???

Appleton, Appleton, and Appleton. The white Wray and Nephew overproof clear stuff is really a Appleton brand, just like Michelob is Budweiser. My suggestion is to get as much of the Estate VX as you can and maybe a bottle of the overproof.