We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
279 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

Can anyone tell me if Beaches Negril has a private beach.

I've read on a few ocassions now how locals approach travellers on the beach in an effort to sell their crafts/products?

How much public access is there onto the beach at Beaches Negril?

Thanks in advance!

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

There are guards on the property boundry on each end of the beach. I have seen them stop people who had things to sell.

We personally never had anyone come up to us while we were on the beach at Beaches. On Fridays they have a local craftsman sale and they set up their wares.

Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

The beach is very large and the guards at both ends immediately approach anyone coming on to the beach (we were coming from BSB) I could see someone slipping through, but would not be welcomed very long.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

There is no such thing as a private beach in Jamaica.

The resort can only own up to the high water line. Below that, the beach is public.

That means that vendors can roam by the water, glass bottom boats can anchor right by the shore, etc.

Vendors are prevented from walking up onto hotel property, but anyone can walk below the high water line (which leaves ample space for walking by and in the water most of the day).

delaware
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

When we stayed at the Grand Lido, (low season, May) we enjoyed the very few vendors who came by. Grand Lido does allow certain vendors to "set up shop" at the edge of the property. We enjoyed them, and their company, and supported them with several purchases.

Funny story: I lost my hand mirror on the day of our Vow renewal, and needed it to do my hair. One of the ladies who sold jewelry had a little hand mirror at her table, it was a hard bargain because she didn't want to part with it, but I finally talked her into selling it to me. Certainly it wasn't worth what I gave her, but in sentimental value it's a great keepsake now.

These people aren't the monsters they seem to me to be made out to be, they're regular working people and if you talk to them and respect their position, they are really dear.

Even those that are offering "Island High" are just trying to meet the demand that is obviously there. If you don't want it, just indicate that isn't your thing. I got into the habit of saying "the lady don't smoke, thanks", and I was fine. If it really is that offensive to your sensibilities, maybe Jamaica isn't a good fit for your personality, but to be honest, we only had it happen a couple of times in 11 straight days there.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
279 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

Thanks ukusa and Bgiants for specifically answering my question.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

Haha.

I guess I didn't "specifically" answer the question...whatever that means.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
279 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

Sorry Easton... oversight on my part... I just kinda read the first two posts and got what I wanted... I by passed your post to read about how to handle the "monsters".

8. Re: Beaches Negril - Private Beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 21:20